Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Indrazith Jeyaraj   27 March 2018

Baby's last name law in india

Hi All,

I need some advice on existing law in India for giving surname/Last name to newborn baby.  I'm from South India and I would like to use my Given name as a Surname for my baby. My given name is a Name and not containing any caste name or house name or city name.  Currently, I live in France but indian citizen and I was blessed with baby girl. Since she was born in France so I have to register birth certificate in France but French has some law for using the surname so they used my surname to my baby instead of using my given name due to their law. 

After demanding they understand the culture and they ready to change the surname of my baby but they demanding a justification letter from Indian embassy to use given name as a surname is legal in india but our Indian embassy is refusing to issue such letter. 

I had a disussion with one of the consulr and he says that Central government is not responsible for what we are following in State Government and they will not issue any certificate.  French govenrment has some strick law but they understand our culture and they ready to change the name but our india govenement is not helping me to get the changed. 

if you could help me if we have any law for using given name of Father as a surname to baby then I will demand Indian Embassy to issue the certificate based on the law. 

Some of my friends had a similar situation in Denmark, UK etc but Indian Embassy provided Indian Birth certificate and Passport based on the request by Parents. In France, they refused to provide passport and also not giving Attestation. 

Thank you

Learning

3 Replies

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     27 March 2018

Please indicate - what is the surname that the French Authories used for your Baby? 

Indrazith Jeyaraj   27 March 2018

My Given Name is Indrazith

My sur name is Jeyaraj 

I normally use J.Indrazith but our Passport will not use initials so I have to use Jeyaraj for my surname. 

Now for my baby, french used ZARA Jeyaraj instead of ZARA indrazith because of their law. 

They ready to change it but they need an attestation from Embassy. 

Thank You

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     27 March 2018

In India the name and surname is persons own choice, no law binding for the same. Anyone can change his or his minor child's name or surname anytime by just newspaper publication as well official Gazette notification. The change of name or surname can be made in any official records as per rules applicable. Indian government has not made any law with regards to fixing a particular name or surname for new born, it's entirely the choice of the parents to keep the name and surname as they so desire. Surname of children in most cases identify the caste of the parents but not always so.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register