LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Annulment of marriage

My question is regarding annulment of marriage, the girl with whom I got engaged in 2011 and further did the court marriage in the same month. She filled for Annulment after 8 months(she did not give me a copy of document she filled and never gave me a chance to read the complete document).

I want to know normally how much time it takes for annulment formalities to complete.  I am not sure what she is doing and what's going on in her mind, as she never shares any details with me. Whenever I try to ask her for updates, she says " Stop harassing me by asking these questions, when it will happen you will come to know" and also couple of times she said "If I keep on asking this she will file a case of harassment against me and my family". I am not sure what harassment I am doing by asking for an update, even if I ask her the details of her lawyer to get an update, she refuses to give them.

Please guide me on how can I get the status updates on our annulment from her.

Learning

8 Replies

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     21 June 2012

dont worry

if she has filed the case in court, the court will send u summons to appear and file ur written statement.

filing annulment must be based on justified grounds as follows : 

12.       Void able marriages

(1)       Any marriage solemnized, whether before of after the commencement of this Act, shall be voidable and maybe annulled by a decree of nullity on any of the following grounds, namely.-

1[(a)     that the marriage has not been consummated owing to the impotence of the respondent ; or]

(b)       that the  marriage is in contravention of the condition specified in clause (ii) of section 5;or

(b)               that the consent of the petitioner, or where the consent of he guardian in  marriage of the petitioner 2[was required under section 5 it stood immediately before the commencement of the Child Marriage Restraint (Amendment) Act, 1978(2 of 1978)], the consent of such guardian was obtained by force 3[or by fraud as to the nature of the ceremony or as to any material fact or  circumstance concerning the respondent ] ;or

(d)       that the respondent was at the time of the marriage pregnant by  some person other than the petitioner.

(2)       Notwithstanding anything contained in sub section(1), no petition  annulling a marriage-

(a)       on the ground specified in clause (c) of sub section(1), shall be entertained if -

(i)        the petition is presented more than one year after the force had ceased to operate or, as the case may be, the  fraud had been discovered ;or

(ii)       the petitioner has, with his or her full consent, lived with the other party to the  marriage as husband or wife after the  force had ceased to operate or, as the case may be the fraud had been discovered.

(b)       on the  ground special in clause (d) of sub-section (1) shall be entertained unless the  court is satisfied-

(i)        that the  petitioner was at the  time of marriage ignorant of the facts alleged.;

(ii)               that proceedings have been instituted in the case of a marriage solemnized before the commencement of this Act within one year of such commencement and in the case of marriage solemnized after such commencement within one year from the date of the marriage; and

(iii)             that marital intercourse with the consent of the petitioner has not taken place since the discovery by the petitioner of the existence of  4[the said ground]

COMMENTS

Where the petition for annulment of marriage is filed after 8 years of marriage, such a petition would be barred by time-Sarlabai V.Komal Singh AIR 1991 MP 358.Selectin of bride with total knowledge as regards her defects would  serve as estoppel from arguing that marriage was tainted with fraud.-Ruby Roy v. Sudarsan Roy 1988 Cal.210.

Where mental disorder of the wife was the ground for obtaining divorce, there cannot be a challenge to the grant of alimony on the ground that mental disorder was in existence prior to the marriage and therefore the marriage was  voidable under s. 12(1)(b) -Mukesh Mathur V.Veena Mathur AIR 1989 Raj 97.

Where the annulment is sought on the ground of fraud, details which  the professional match makers supply bear no relevancy as the parties are at liberty to verify the facts.-Deepayan Chatterjee V.Papiya Chatterjee 1990 (1)HLR 113

HK_Jain... (498a Fighter)     21 June 2012

wait & sit aside, as she doesn not like you anymore

meanwhile make sure what you want divorce or re concile.

(Guest)

Amit,
I had signed the paper and don't know whether she filled them or not. Whenever I am trying to check the status, I am being rebucked for asking. 

I want to know is there any way I can get the details of the case whether it was filled or not.

(Guest)

I want to get out this marriage and no longer want to maintain any kind of relationship with this girl. Can I get any document which proves that the annulment was filled.

Normally how much time it takes for all this to get over, Its almost 10 months and I have not heard anything from the court. The reason I am asking is because there are chances that I may move cities in the next 2-3 months and my residence will change as well.  So if I recieve a summon and I am not there what happens at that time.

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     21 June 2012

Are you presumming these things or have you really signed the papers for annulment.You can find out the status in the court or your lawyer will take care of it.

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     21 June 2012

ur signature is not required and is irrelevant on the petition (if any) prepared by ur wife.

still if u want to verify the filing of the petition, go to the court of proper jurisdiction, there is a counter in the court where u can ask for the status by providing petitioner name & respondent name.

dont worry.

if something is really filed, u will get summons from court.

further, since u dont want to continue the relation, let her get the marriage annulled.

20        Contents and verification of petitions

(1)        Every petition presented under  this Act shall state as distinctly as the nature of the case permits the facts on which the claim to relief is founded, 2[and, except in a petition under section 11, shall also state] that there is  no collusion between the petitioner and the other party to the marriage.

(Guest)

Sainath, I have signed the papers around 10 months ago and I was told by her that she has filed them. I havent got any summons or notice from the court.

I want to know how much time does this normally takes for annulment.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register