LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

namitsharma (manager)     02 November 2012

Agricultural land lease deal/agreement

Dear Friends and Lawyers

I bought an agricultural land two years back in Haryana. Since the time we have bought it, a widow woman has asked to do farming there. We allowed her and she is doing since last two years.

As we knnow she was also farming on that land  with previous owner of our land.

Now my question is shall i continue to allow her to do farming on that land. Though the previous owner was having lease contract with her, i never did any lease agreemnt with her. may be she is working on that land for last 5-7 years.

What shall i do to keep my ownership of that land secured and avoiding any hassle in future?

Please tell the method which is most appropriate. I am  guess in a position to ask that lady on sign an any kind of agreement.

what i am thinking is:

1. make 11 months lease agreement with her/

2. rotate the agreement with other members of her family so that no one  continue to have worked on that land. (For info their whole family is staying together.)

3. take some sort of legal document from her where she state that she just worked on this land in between a few years and not continously.

 4.   Or dont make any agreement at all  because i can always say that even if she was working that was without my knowledge and illegal?

Any other more suitable and fool proof method ???

Friends, i am looking forward for your expert advice. Will be really thankful.



Namit Sharma




 1 Replies

kumar (NIL)     02 November 2012

Dear Sharma,

Firstly you check with the one who has sold that to you regarding that women (does she made any lease / rental agreement for the scheduled property ! If he makes any agreement then check the agreement properly (Agreement duration). If the period is still running, then you have to ask the landlord to give a letter stating that the possession of the property has been changed to you and renewed the agreement on your name.

If she doesn't made any agreement with the original land lord, now you can go for a fresh one or else ask her to leave your premises. Or else your point 4 is correct....  

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query