Criminal Trident Pack: IPC, CrPC and IEA by Sr. Adv. G.S Shukla and Adv. Raghav Arora
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pawan Gupta (Proprietor)     30 May 2012

Adoption of first wife child by second wife

My name is pawan gupta from Chandigarh .I married to a girl in 2006, she gave birth to a baby boy in March2007 . in August 2007 my wife  died because of cancer,  after that i married to her sister.  I want that my son should be known by the name of my current wife(Second wife ). is it possible ? 


I want to appy for my  son  passport with current wife name. In his birth certificate his actual mother's name ( who gave birth) is mentioned. is there any sort of adoptoin that i could change the name of my first wife in my son's documents ? 

Note:- I have another son from my Second wife who is just 1 year old.

please advice me , i will be thankful to you .


 2 Replies

Nitish Banka (lawyer)     30 May 2012

As regards your children, since the mother is dead, your second wife does not need any seperate adoption deed; even though she will always remain the step mother of your children.The step mother does not have any right over son's property if son's dies intestate.

Mumbai_Boy (Buss Development Manager)     20 June 2012


I am in a simialr situation.


Lost my wife in an accident and have a child. I plan to get married soon and in that case as per advise in the earlier reply, I dont have to do any paperwork for ensuring that my child has my second wife as her legal mother.

Please confirm the same.

Apart from this, when I apply for a new passport for my child, my (new) Marriage certifiate along with all the other necessary documents would be enough to get her name as mother in my child's passport?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query