LCI Learning
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Avijit   25 July 2023

Acceptance of gifts for cg employees

My father, wishes to make a one time monetary gift towards me with amount greater than 3.0Lakh. I am a Group A Central Government employee, is declaration to office sufficient. Also what shall be the tax implications? 


 4 Replies

P. Venu (Advocate)     25 July 2023

The gift received by the son from his father is beyond the ambit of Conduct Rules. So also, to my knowledge, the gift, as proposed, is of no tax implications.

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     25 July 2023

You may obtain permission from your employer for the gifted amount.  Tax may not be implicated.

1 Like

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     25 July 2023

There is no restriction on the same. It would be in your interest to take a written confirmation from your father that he has gifted you the amount. At a later date, if the income-tax officer wants, he can ask you to prove the identity and the capacity of the donor (i.e. your father) to make the gift to you.

This is a transaction between father and son, hence you need not be scared about the central government employee status to accept gift from father, it would be wrong to accept such gifts only  from a third party

1 Like

Sudhir Kumar   02 August 2023

Sorry to disagree partially with the above views

There is no need to seek any permission or give any information if financial transaction is not more than two basic pay.


However if your father is giving you some gift more than two basic pay you have to give an intimation to the Department within one month on prescribed performance there is absolutely any need to apply for prayer permission of the department

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register