LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Saket Gandhi (advocate)     20 September 2010

Will of Sadhu

I have a query regarding Will. My client wishes to become Sadhu and he is living all the pleasures of life... He owns a flat and wants to give it to his brother. Now can he make a Will and give this flat to his brother. Note that after he becomes a Sadhu his identity i.e. his name will also change. His whole idnetity as a person will change and he would be living all his movable and immovable that he has with him.. So can he make a Will or if not then which is the best document to be made.

Learning

2 Replies

Saket Gandhi (advocate)     20 September 2010

When the execution of such Will will take place... after his death or after he becomes Sadhu..

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     25 September 2010

Any Will will become effective only after the death of the testator.

Even if the name gets changed after making the will, yet on the death of the testator, the will can be probated and given effect to, provided the fresh name as Sadhu is known, and that he clearly testifies in the will itself that he is becoming a Sadhu and hence giving the property through will to his brother or any one else.... 

It is anybody's guess whether the brother will ever come to know of the demise of the Sadhu to get the benefit of the will.

In any case, why not the Sadhu make a gift of the immovable property to his brother - is the would be Sadhu worried about the fact that Stamp duty has to be paid on the value of the property and which would like to avoid? 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register