LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sid Raj   12 January 2020

Social media harassment

Sir, I have given my views on development work of my village for a newspaper report and a person from my village posted that report on social media with abusive word about me So help me sir. Can Police file a complaint against him about this small issue?

Learning

4 Replies

Neha Chowdhary (Law Officer )     12 January 2020

Hi Sid, Being human you have right to live with dignity and COI has given all of us freedom of speech and expression. Expressing your view in news paper is your right to express...n the person who used abusive words against you commited Defamation...critics to a certain limit is admissible but no one has right to abuse...So go to nearest police station and lodge FIR against that person..

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Advocate)     13 January 2020

Dear sir,

You can lodge police complaint in local police station about abusive words used against you.

Regards,

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     14 January 2020

What is exact language used by critic ?

Whether such words fall in exemption of Section 499 IPC ??

it is advisable to consult a local prudent lawyer for better appreciation of facts / documents, professional guidance and necessary proceeding

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     18 January 2020

No police complaint is maintainable

You can file a  private criminal complaint under section 500 Cr.P.C before the judicial magistrate court 

Alternately you can file a civil defamation suit  also

To prove either type of defamation, plaintiffs must prove the following elements:
  1. The defendant made a false and defamatory statement concerning the plaintiff;
  2. The defendant made an unprivileged publication to a third party; and.
  3. The publisher acted at least negligently in publishing the communication.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register