LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     03 December 2010

Refused dowry, magistrate beats up would-be wife

https://www.indianexpress.com/news/Refused-dowry--magistrate-beats-up-would-be-wife/719796

Bhopal:

A Judicial magistrate (first class) allegedly beat up his would-be wife in the marriage hall and fled before threatening to take her life because his demand for dowry was turned down.

Inder Singh Malviya was allegedly drunk when the baarat reached Gautam Ashram, the marriage venue in Dewas town, late on Wednesday.

The 30-year-old caused ruckus on the way when he was riding a horse and also inside the hall before he turned to 19-year-old Monika Solanki, to whom he was engaged a month ago.

Malviya wanted Rs 1 lakh and a car before completing the ceremony, Iinvestigating Officer Abdul Jabbar Khan told The Indian Express, adding that the groom is posted in Shahdol as JMFC. Khan said the district judge in Shahdol and the registrar general of the MP High Court had been informed.

After Malviya and his family members returned from the hall, Solanki’s father, a teacher, went to Kotwali Police Station and registered a complaint under the Dowry Prohibition Act as also the relevant sections

under the IPC for threatening her with life and using invectives

Learning

21 Replies

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     03 December 2010

Hmm.. How to expect people to have faith in judiciary ?  :(

2 Like

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     03 December 2010

When law makers turn into law breakers :(

1 Like

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     03 December 2010

Shamefull and Disgudting !!!!

THe culprit should be austed from service immediatly !

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     03 December 2010

THE ACT OF THE SAID PERSON WAS NOT AS A JUDGE, BUT AS A DOWRY TAKER.

I THINK, THE PERSON ALREADY OUT FROM HIS SERVICE.

(Guest)

hidden talent that came out...!

1 Like

CommonMann (Software Professional)     03 December 2010

It seems the story is diffeerent. Why a judge would demand only just lakh rupees. This is peanut for the person who is on the powerful post. I smell some thing is cooking in this story. As always media without thinking publish all this nuisance in there newspapers or show on channels before going to depth of any case.

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     03 December 2010

LOLZ

the going rate of a judge groom may be over a crore in open ,market .

difficult to believe story. if a ,marriage breaks for any reason dowry allegation is mandatory.

gud for this lucky judge  as  only  dowry can be alleged , and  no domestic violence/498a  can be alleged.

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     04 December 2010

qualified persons commitss this type of offense, in spite of knowing the law.

Even people of administration like IAS and IPS are not averse of taking dowry and their dowry runs in crores.

Uma parameswaran (lawyer)     04 December 2010

A conclusion cannot make with  media news.. ,A small cell is enough for them to develop  as an organ.

1 Like

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     05 December 2010

is dowry of one lakh the only reason a judge will break his marriage -- very unlikely.

every one knows today's social scenario and before marriage realtionships  break more due to other reasons than dowry.

sevearal questions

why a 19 yrs girl was being marraied to 30 yr judge?

if he was drunk and demanded dowry can he be sentenced under dowry act?

allege everything including threat to life.

good one. real reason no one may ever know except for those present in marriage.

1 Like

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     05 December 2010

Generally we go by the media reporting, and this incidence has been shown in Tv news channels also and possibility of truth of dowry demand is more. If the judge is innocent then he will come out of the allegations.

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     05 December 2010

everyone knows how media is now a days. real victims of dowry demand / harassment rarely come out in open for justice, they continue to be victimised within 4 walls.

cases such as this are lodged to avenge marriage breakup, to avenge loss of respect / defamation.

even if this case is real can a drunk person be sentenced for dowry demand ?

2 Like

Renuka Gupta ( Gender Researcher )     05 December 2010

Let us not forget the role of girl's parents in this episode. A 19 year old girl being marrying off to a 30 years old Judge!!  It was not a marriage by choice that one can overlook the age factor. 

The compulsion to somehow get the daughter married off is one of the root causes of it all: whether a Baba is begging and being highly appreciated  somewhere in another thread for  helping out   impoverished women by getting them married  (--he  begs to marry them off --what an insult to women and womanhood)  or parents marrying off young daughters to a dowry seeker, drunkard( if the news clip happens to be true) in this case, he happens to be a judge!!

1 Like

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     05 December 2010

Dear Ms. Renuka,

I shall be grateful if you kindly let me know what made you feel i am appreciating the baba in my thread..i simply posted a news for others to have a healthy discussion minus personal attacks.

i have recently been observing that you always thinki dont believe in women empowerment,which is evident from your comments.i get these comments wenever i have expressed my views on dowry..and they come without fail...

and tell me which sentence i wrote that makes u feel i am insulting women,when i am a woman myself....

it's not that i am affected by what you think or feel abt me,as  dont care wot others think of me...but i am asking as i find it too amusing that someone can "read" my mind..

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register