LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kumar R. (Executive)     28 August 2009

Procedure for change of Name

Can anyone from this forum guide me on the following issue.

My son is 15 yrs old and his name in the birth certificate is diffrent then the name which is in his 10th Board marksheet. Actually we have enrolled him with diffrent name in school and now the same name is continuing. But it is diffrent from the name in Birth certificate.

How to get it changed in birth certificate. OR I can continue with the present name without any problems. What is the legal procedure to correct it. Please reply in details.

Please guide. Thanks in advance.

Kumar,

Learning

11 Replies

A V Vishal (Advocate)     28 August 2009

Kumar,

It is not advisable to have two different names on different certificates, which will be a problem in your child's future. Now please tell which name do you want to continue, the one in the Birth certificate or the one in the Educational certificates based on that I will advise you.

A V Vishal (Advocate)     28 August 2009

GUIDELINES FOR CHANGE OF NAME FOR MINOR

One should strictly adhere to the following instructions for change of name for minors

1. The individual concerned i.e. either father or mother has to notify the change of name of his/her minor son/daughter in one of the daily leading newspaper, giving therein full identification that is his/her name, Father’s name/Husband’s name along with residential address and date of birth of child & forward it in original to this Department.

2. Please submit an original affidavit (from the side of Guardian) duly attested by first class Magistrate/Notary/Oath Commissioner showing therein full details of father’s/husband’s name along with residential address before taking oath in the affidavit & forward it in original to this Department. In case of Indian living abroad, he/she will submit duly attested by the respective Indian Embassy/Indian High Commission, in original to this Department.

3. Please submit printing matter as prescribed in the attached specimen duly completed in all respects by typing the same on a separate plain paper and signed by the individual in his/her old name, with two witnesses in duplicate. The Proforma must not be handwritten.

4. Please attach two passport size photographs of parents(either mother or father), whoever is giving the declaration and one of the minor son/daughter. If the case is sent by registered post, the photographs have to be attested by Gazetted officer/oath commissioner/notary public.

5. The printing charges for publication of change of name Rs. 1100/- only. The amount will have to be submitted or remitted in advance in cash or by Demand Draft/India Postal Order drawn in favour of Controller of Publication, Department of Publication, Civil Lines, Delhi-54. The extra copies of the Gazette can be supplied to the extent of 4 on additional payment of Rs. - 35/- per copy. The charges in cash may also be deposited with aforesaid documents in our Department. The cost of advertising of change of name in the Gazette of India for Indian living abroad is Rs. - 3300/- which includes air mail charges also.

6. All the aforesaid document, printing charges together with forwarding letter addressed to The controller of Publication, Department of Publication,  should be sent to this Department by post or they can come personally also. The documents must not be old i.e.beyond the period of one year.

7. The documents once submitted in this Department will not be returned in any circumstances, neither original nor Xerox copy.

SPECIMEN FOR CHANGE OF NAME FOR MINOR ALL BLANK SPACE DULY TYPED ON SEPARATE PLAIN PAPER IN DUPLICATE (TWO COPIES)

No. ADVT./IV/

I hitherto known as ………………………………………... Son

of ………………………………………………………………Employed as ……………………………………………………….…in the ………………………………………………………………… residing at………………………………………………. …… have changed the name of my minor son/daughter……………………………….aged………………….years and he/she shall hereafter be known as …………………………It is certified that I have complied with other legal requirements in this connection.

Signature of Guardian

Witness No. 1

Signature Full Name

Address

Witness No. 2

Signature Full Name

Address

Kumar R. (Executive)     28 August 2009

Affidavit is to be made on stamp paper or plain paper. If on stamp paper, then how many Rupees stamp paper. Someone told me that the notarised affidavit is required on stamp paper of Rs. 20 and this advertisement for name chage has to be given in two papers where the person normally resides. So in my case can I give this for publication in local/national newpaers covering the area of M.P. (Where i presently staying) or it has to be sent to the above address as mentioned by you. please deliberate on this sir.

regards,

Kumar

avinash kumar (none)     29 December 2012

is this helpful to us can it change my complete name

Advocate.S.A.Siddiq (Advocate)     30 December 2012

Change of name .. publish in state government gazette notification ... get the copy of  gazette notification ... its enough for further procedure.  contact nearest Notary Advocate.

Mohsin (Proprietor)     30 August 2013

Get a complete name change procedure, name change format and sample ads at www.changeofnameads.com

Mohsin (Proprietor)     30 August 2013

Get a complete name change procedure, name change format and sample ads at www.changeofnameads.com

Priya Sukumaran (Consultant)     16 September 2013

go to a notary affidavit place and get it done..two paper ad with one affidavit..also do the name change in gazette..

JEEVA.E (student)     10 March 2014

sir,

I had birth certificate provided by hospital without my name.for passport verification I am in need of birth certificate with name .so,guide me to get birth certificate with my name.

Manju (SE)     17 March 2014

HI,

I have approached Central press, Bangalore for the publication in gazette along with the affidavit from Notary. However they issued a letter station that “This is to inform you that Govt press will Publish change of name in Karnataka Gazette only in respect of Karnataka state Govt employees. Those persons who are not in Karnataka State Govt service, private persons, students have to seek their own legal advice for the change of name as per press manual article no 314(2) and printing manual article no 91”. They have not published the change of name in Gazette. However I want to have one certificate regarding informing that the name has been changed from ___ to ___ from competent authority as I cannot carry the news paper advertisement and affidavit everywhere . Is it possible to get such certificate?.. please advice

Mohsin (Proprietor)     18 March 2014

I know of a site where your problem can get solved faster and cheaper. www.changeofnameads.com

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register