need to help mentally unsound relative from eviction

My relative is a tenant at a flat in Mumbai. Recently she has become mentally unstable and is unable to pay rent. The landlord and other members of the society are threatening to forcefully evict her. I have offered to pay rent but the landlord is not accepting it ? What is the best course of action ? Should I get guardianship ? I live outside Mumbai. My fear is that if she is served any notice/summons she will not respond and this will lead to any ex-party decision against her and then eventual eviction. What is the best course of action ?



U send rent thru money order if they refuse file caveat petition in court furnishing Ur address.


Send rent regularly every month per money order, preserve the the receipts. In case of refusal preserve the returned forms. This will be evidence that the tenant is ready and willing to pay the rent. The tenant is well protected under the Maharashtra Rent

If the landlord makes the case that premises are kept dirty so tenant must be evicted can landlord succeed ?

My relative may not be in a position to accept summons/ appoint lawyer etc. in this case what can be done ?

How long will guardianship take ? In the interim can I inform the landlord to send legal notice to me as being next of kin ?




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum


  LAWyersclubindia Menu

Complete Hindu Laws Course     |    x