Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Varatha (Software Engineer)     15 September 2014

Indian passport impounded - help please !!!

Respected Sir/Madam,

I am an Indian citizen working in Ireland since August 2012. In April 2013 I came to India on a vacation and applied for spousal name addition in my passport at Regional passport office, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu. Unknowingly I've given my permanent native address as the address proof for last one year (But actually out of one year, first 3 months I've resided in Bangalore and rest 9 months in Ireland).

As I've applied in tatkal I've received the new passport with in 2 days and travelled back to Ireland after my vacation. Post police verification has happened in my hometown and an adverse report has been sent to passport office stating I've suppressed the last one year address. Since then I've been getting series of letters from passport office asking explanation and I've been promptly responding them with requested stay proofs in India and Ireland, Visa stamped passport pages etc and also paid the penalty of 5,000 rupees on April 2014. I’ve been advised to surrender the passport when I come to India in December 2014 and request for re-verification. But on 11 September, I've received an another letter stating "My passport has been impounded and asked to surrender with immediate effect".

I've the following questions in mind.

1. If I plan for a travel to India as my passport is impounded, Will it be seized at Indian airport?
2. What will happen in my case, Will they cancel the passport or issue a re-verification ?
2. If issued for re-verification, out of last one year address, first 3 months were spent in Bangalore and rest 9 months in Ireland. I haven't stayed in my native during the period. So wondering where the re-verification will happen ?

I'm totally confused and looking for suggestions from beloved lawers in this forum. Any information on this would be of a great help.

Thanks for reading,
Varatha

Learning

4 Replies

Varatha (Software Engineer)     16 September 2014

Hi,

Any suggestions please ?

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     24 September 2014

If you have been informed by the passport authorities that your passport has been impounded, the same will be impounded in the Airport on arrival and will be given an acknowledgment for this.  Now you have apply afresh for the passport once again along with an affidavit narrating the events in the past which led you to furnish the misinformation resulting into the present impound.  Along with this you can enclose a letter to RPO narrating the entire incidences and seek his consideration to issue a fresh passport after re-verification.  You may attach the details of the penal amount paid earlier due to this lapse.

Rahul Garg (Engineer)     08 January 2015

Hi Varatha,

Are you able to manage to get your passport back or could you please share the procedure how did you manage to get back your existing passport or fresh passport.

Thanks

Varatha (Software Engineer)     20 March 2015

An update on this matter. I hope someone will get benefit out of this.

On September 2014, I've sent a detailed mail addressed to The First Secretary , Indian Embassy in Ireland. Following the same day the Embassy has forwarded my mail to the Regional passport office in India asking for explanations under what circumstances the Indian passport has been impounded

After couple of days the passport office replied stating the 'Impounding Circular issued has been cancelled and Applicant is advised
to approach the Passport Office once he visits India'. They did not gave any reasons for issuing impound notice. So during my vacation in December 2014 I've visited the passport office and my file was looked after by couple of Senior officers one after the other and finally I was asked to apply for police re-verification at the present address during my stay in India. I've applied for re-verification on the same day and visited the local police station in advance and informed them. In two weeks of time the verification was done and I've got my passport back. 

Indian Embassy was really helpful in this matter and without their interference the RPO wouldn't have cancelled the Impounding notice in first place. Also the Senior most officer in the RPO understood the matter and without any delay I was asked to apply for re-verification. So unexpectedly things went smooth. May be I was lucky! 

Thanks all for your kind advise and suggestions.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register