This paper will be talking about the procedures that are available for a person to change his/ her address in various legal documents like Aadhar Card, Passport, Pan Card, Driving License, Voter ID that very crucial in the day to day living of person's life.
There are various documents like Aadhar Card, Passport, Pan Card, Driving License, Voter ID that are crucial identity proofs for an individual. These documents can be used for verification anywhere for different kind of purposes like Sim activation, opening bank accounts etc. Changes in life events such as job, marriage etc. may lead to residents changing their basic demographic details like their address. And it is very important to change the address in your identity proof documents as well.
Here are the different kind of procedures than need to be followed to change the address in various important documents:
Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) which is an agency of the Government of India responsible for implementing the AADHAAR scheme, has made it simpler for people to get their Aadhar card updated or corrected both online and offline. The address can be updated as many times as the person changes his address of residence.
Here's how to change the address in Aadhaar Card
1) Visit the Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal on UIDAI's website.
2) The user needs to enter his Aadhar number and verify himself through the OTP sent at his registered number.
3) Select the address option to update the address
4) Enter the new address and provide a relevant proof for the same.
5) Select your BPO for authentication.
6) Your request will be submitted and an Update Request number (URN) will be generated.
By Visiting Permanent Enrolment Centre:
These are modes where residents place the demographic/biometric update request with the help of an operator at a Permanent Enrolment Centre. In such a case, the documentary evidence is collected by the operator at the time of accepting the request. The document verification by the verifier also happens at the time of placing the Update request.
You can get your Aadhar details updated offline as well by sending the request through post to UIDAI. Steps involved in this process are:
1) Downloading the “Aadhaar Data Update/Correction Form” from the UIDAI's website.
2) Filling in the details which you wish to change in your Aadhar card.
3) Get the photocopies of the documents that validate the changes requested to be made in the form
4) Send the form along with documents to the postal address as mentioned in the official government website.
To change the address in the passport, you have to apply for a "Re-issue" of passport and get the specified change done in the personal particulars. To check the complete list of documents to be submitted along with the application form, please click on "Documents Required" link on official passport page.
The process for changing your address in your passport is detailed below:
1) Visit the official website of Passport Seva website i.e. passportindia.gov.in.
2) If you are a registered member, then login to your account. But if you are new, then create your account by clicking on new user.
3) After getting in your account, choose a passport office nearest to you.
4) Provide your personal details, which includes your name, date of birth, etc
5) Create a login ID and password.
6) An email will be sent to you with a link to activate your account.
7) Once you have click on the link, login in and then apply for a fresh passport or re-issue of passport.
Certain documents required for the address change are:
1) Original old passport
2) Aadhaar card
3) Copy of payment of receipt
4) Current address proof
5) Voter ID
6) Other documents will also be required which can be found on the official website.
Individuals who wish to change their address on their PAN card can do so online with relative ease. You will have to download the Change Request Form from the official NSDL website and fill in the required details. Please note that changes or corrections can be made to PAN cards only when the individual has already been allotted a PAN Number. Here is a step-by-step procedure to change address in a PAN Card:
1) Visit the official National Securities Depository Limited website.
2) Choose the category (individual / partnership firm / association of persons / body of individual, etc.) from the Select the Category of the Applicant' option.
3) Fill in all the required details on the form, such as name, father's name, gender, date of birth, etc.
4) Check the box beside the address field.
5) You PAN Number will have to be entered in the relevant box, and if you wish to take the paperless route to apply for a change in address, you can select ‘Yes' on the field that says,‘For Paperless PAN Application'.
6) Once you select the paperless route, you will have to upload your photographs, documents and signature online, thereby eliminating the need to physically furnish the documents for a change in address.
7) In case you wish to take the traditional route to change the address in your PAN card, select ‘No' on the field that says, ‘For Paperless PAN Application'.
8) You will receive a Pan Acknowledgment Form that comes with a 16-digit Acknowledgement Number which needs to be printed.
9) Attach two recent passport size photographs in the space provided on the acknowledgment form and insert your signature.
10) A cheque or demand draft will have to be enclosed along with the acknowledgment form and self-attested documents in an envelope. Make sure that the acknowledgment number has been mentioned on the back of the cheque or demand draft.
11) Write ‘Application for “PAN CHANGE REQUEST” – Acknowledgment Number' as the heading on the envelope and send it by post to NDSL at their mentioned address.
12) The envelope must reach the NSDL address with 15 days from the date on which you received the acknowledgment.
13) Once the NSDL receives your application, it will send it for processing and you will receive an email regarding the same on your registered email ID.
Individuals who have shifted their residence permanently, or at least for a significant amount of time, need to make the change in their driving license as well. There are two options to change your address on the driving license. The first and most preferred option is to do it online, and the second one is to head on over to the local RTO to make the change.
Changing the address on driver's license online:
1) Visit the official website of Sarathi, which is a subsidiary of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
2) From the list of states given, select your respective state
3) Select the appropriate RTO
4) Fill the necessary details
5) Upload the necessary documents
6) Pay the fee and get acknowledgement receipt
7) You will get the DL within 30 days.
The Documents Required to Change Address in Driving License Online
1. Clearance Certificate/No Objection Certificate
2. Form No. 7 (Accessible on the website)
3. Change of Address Application Form
4. Aadhaar Card
5. Passport-sized photograph
6. Proof of current residential address- Ration card, Voter's ID, Bills
7. In case you have no address proof as mentioned above, you can submit any of the following:
a) Caste and income certificate
b) Salary slip if you are a central or state government employee
c) Sworn affidavit before a Magistrate/First-Class Judicial Magistrate/Notary Public
The process to change the address on driving licence via RTO:
Individuals who have shifted their residential address will have to make an application to their respective Regional Transport Office to reflect the change in their driving licence.
1) The first step to having your residential address changed in your driving license is to obtain a No Objection Certificate / Clearance Certificate from the RTO from where you attained your driving license.
2) You would need a caste certificate and an income certificate issued by Tahsildar.A caste certificate is a document that proves that one belongs to a particular caste, especially if a person belongs to a “scheduled castes”. If you do not have a caste certificate, you can collect the application forms that are available either online or from the local office in your city, town, or village.
3) Along with the caste certificate, one has to submit other documents like duly-filled application form, address proof (like ration card, passport, voters ID, telephone bill, or water bill).
4) Obtain a change of address form from your nearest RTO and fill it diligently.
5) Once you have all the required documents, you need to visit the nearest RTO and meet an official, mainly a superintendent who will go through all your documents and verify their validity.
6) They will then proceed to tell you about the processing fee, which is usually INR 200.
7) Upon paying the required amount, you will receive a receipt that serves as an acknowledgement slip.
8) You will get your updated driving licence via post within 30 days of filing an application.
Individuals who shift from one state to another can follow the same procedure to make changes to their address, but a NOC will be mandatory in case a change of address is applied for in a different state, while individuals who have shifted their residential address to a town or city in the same state can simply submit a CC and have the necessary changes made.
No bank has a similar procedure to change address but here is an example of how HDFC does it.
Update through NetBanking:
1) Login to NetBanking, click on Update Contact Details option from top menu, and select “Update Address" option.
2) Upload a self-attested copy of a valid address proof. Now click on Continue, and you will be re-directed to a page with option to add and upload a document.
3) Verify the details, add the document, and then upload it.
4) Your Address will be updated with the bank, after verifying the document.
1) Go to the HDFC website to fill the form.
2) Print the completed Form
3) Affix your signature and self-attested address proof.
4) Send the request through courier, Post or Bearer to the nearest branch
Personally Visit the nearest Branch:
1) Fill the application form available at the Branch
2) Please carry your original documentation for verification.
Your mailing address will be updated within 7 working days after receipt of the request and complete documentation.Joint account holders need to fill separate request for address change
In case you have recently moved cities or states, the Election Commission of India has now made it easy to change the address online. When a voter moves from one constituency to another it is mandatory for him/her to update the address on the voter ID card in order to exercise the right to vote.
Instead of applying for a new voter ID card, you can now update or change your address online by logging on to the National Voters Services Portal at www.nvsp.in. The name of the voter is then transferred from the old constituency to the new one in case of transfers.
Steps to change the address on your voter ID card online:
1) Log on to the National Voters Services Portal at www.nvsp.in
2) Click on: Apply online for registration of new voter/due to shifting from AC in case you have moved to another constituency or transposition within Assembly in case you have moved within the same constituency
3) Choose Form 6 if you have moved to another constituency or Form 8A if you have moved from one place of residence to another within the same constituency
4) Complete the mandatory details on the form including your name, date of birth, state, constituency, current as well as permanent address
5) Upload all your documents as mentioned, such as a photograph, proof of address and proof of age (documents like Aadhaar, bank pass book or any other official document should be valid)
6) Submit the form online once you have uploaded all the documents.
7) You can track your application online through a reference number that you will receive once you have successfully filled the form. The electoral officers will then proceed with verification of your address
8) On successful verification you will receive your updated voter ID card with the new address.
Tags :Corporate Law