DETAILS OF THE TRAGEDY
- A woman was stabbed 25 times to death allegedly by her husband at a market in broad daylight
- This grotesque incident took place in full public view in Budh Vihar area of northwest Delhi.
- 26-year-old woman was reportedly killed by her husband as he suspected that his wife was having an extra-marital affair.
- The man went on further to also threatened people as some passers-by tried to intervene in the matter and save the woman.
- This shocking incident was recorded on video but nobody could stop the man?
- The accused he recently got married to Neelu Mehta (victim/wife) and wasn’t happy with her job.
- Neelu worked at the Safdarjung hospital in Delhi and her husband Harish Mehta is an employee of the Marriage Bureau.
- The main problem started when Neelu decided against his threats and continued to work
- Harish (husband) then suspected about Neelu having an extramarital affair when she left him to stay at his parents’ house in Budh Vihar in addition to the daily fights over her career.
STEPS UNDER THE LAW
- In this case if active citizen could come together and stop Harish. Such an incident would take cover over Section 43 of CR.P.C which is Arrest by private person and procedure on such arrest. Any private person may arrest or cause to be arrested any person who in his presence commits a non- bailable and cognizable offence, or any proclaimed offender, and, without unnecessary delay, shall make over or cause to be made over any person so arrested to a police officer, or, in the absence of a police officer, take such person or cause him to be taken in custody to the nearest police station.
ARE WOMEN SAFE IN INDIA
- He then decided to kill her “to end his pain”, how did he think it was in his hands to decide how and when her life should end. How did he take only his pain into account and not his very own wife?
- Incidents like this make us wonder are women really safe in India? There were plenty people at the scene of the crime but nobody could save Neelu from her death?
- Are we as society so ignorant and so used to turning the away from the problem of domestic violence? That it is starting to cost the life of a person? It is sad to see that even in this day and age women are only viewed as objects in this patriarchal society.
What do you think about this gut wrenching incident? Let us know in the comments section below!