- On Thursday, the centre finally replied to the plea that sought for legal recognition of same sex marriage.
- One of the couples was seeking for a declaration that the Special Marriage Act, 1956 (SMA) applies for all couples, regardless of their gender identity and sexual orientation.
- The Central Government is against marriage opportunities and equality for the LGBTQ+ community in the Delhi High Court.
- Twitter is enraged over the plea, trending the hashtag #samesexmarriage, as a retaliation against the Central Government.
- A division bench of Justices Rajiv Sahai and Amit Bansal was hearing petitions, with regards to the recognition of same sex marriage under the Hindu Marriage Act and Special Marriage Act.
- General Tushar Mehta stated that 'As per law, a marriage is only between a husband and a wife.” The Government said that for a family to be considered as a unit, there must be a man as husband, and a woman as wife.
- Living together and having sexual relationship within a same sex couple doesn't ensure progression of a family, the Government tries to imply.
- The petitioners only want an enforcement of same sex marriage equality, under the Hindu Marriage Act, and the Special Marriage Act.
- Despite the decriminalisation of same sex couples, the plea of the government stated that same sex marriage is not possible.
- Same sex marriage is a violation of personal as well as codified laws, the government claimed, hoping for a dismissal of the petition.
- The Government stated that any interference from the judiciary will bring up "complete havoc with the delicate balance of personal laws." The people are raging over on Twitter over this decision by bringing up ancient mythology which mentions and actions of homosexuality.
- The case is still an ongoing one, with the petitioners' side yet to be heard. Therefore this matter will next be heard on April 20th.
DO YOU AGREE WITH THE CENTRAL GOVERNMENT? LET US KNOW YOUR VIEWS IN THE COMMENTS BELOW!