LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More


Who can ask account of a society

Pradeshik sutar samiti is registered in MP. Collected donations/membership fees from several.
Says that one who paid Rs. 5000/year can ask accounts of Samiti, none else who paid Rs.100 to Rs. 4999.
Can any member ask for account irrespective of amount contributed ?
Hukamchand Erodha

 7 Replies

MPS RAMANI (Scientist/Engineer)     21 October 2021

I presume that the Society is registered under the Societies Registration Act of Madhya Pradesh. If so they may be having their byelaws/articles of association/ constitution or internal regulations known by any other name. The association is bound to give them to you on payment of the stipulated price. If they do not give and if you have their regitration number you can obtain them from the office of the charity commissioner of the State through RTI. 


G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     21 October 2021

I am not aware of the applicability of RTI to such societies managed by individuals when they never get any substantial financial contribution, but if it is a society and issued a receipt for any amount paid as subscripttion as a member, such member of society; is entitled as a right for inspection of all books.  First issue a notice and demand for such inspection, then  make a complaint to the Registrar of societies if there is no response or request is denied or reply is not satisfactory..  If there is a general body meeting, move the issue collectively for disclosure of such accounts..  Contact any trade union locally and involve them in finding a remedy.   Finally, if you can afford it, seek guidance from a local advocate for a remedy.

MPS RAMANI (Scientist/Engineer)     21 October 2021

RTI may or may not be applicable to societies. But it is applicable to charity commissioner. 

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     21 October 2021

The written acknowledgment required to substantiate a charitable contribution of 250 or more must contain the following information. Its utilized by an individual that has donated cash or payment personal property or a vehicle and seeking to claim the donation as a tax deduction. Moreover you can only issue a donation receipt under the name of the individual who made the donation.

Dr J C Vashista (Lawyer)     22 October 2021

The facts and query are vague and not understood for consideration and obligation.


If someone paid Rs. 2000 to society. Society president says that he won't show account to any body who paid less than Rs. 5000.

Person paid Rs 2000 can ask the president to show accounts or not ?



P. Venu (Advocate)     29 October 2021

Any and every member has a say in the management of the Society.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

LCI Learning Hindu Laws

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query