Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ravi Soorya (Engineer)     17 February 2011

Tenant defaulting and on rent and absconding

Hello experts,

I leased my newly built apartment in Chennai to a tenant for 11 months (in early 2009) with mutual agreement to renew the lease. The tenant was always late on rent and several times he gave us a fake cheque.

He stopped paying rent since July of 2010. We made several phone calls and pleaded him to vacate. I sent couple of notice around Aug 2010 for him to vacate the premises for defaulting on rent. He gave us a written notice in first week of Oct 2010 that he would vacate on or before Nov 30 2010.

He absconded around the end of Oct 2010 and now there are 3 persons (2 ladies and a man around 24 years) living in the house. They kept telling us they didn't know where he was and only vacate when he gets back. They don't look like his family.
I've filed a case in the court to evict him for defaulting on rent. My question is:

1> How long will it take for the court to give us an eviction order?

2> Is there any other means by which we can speed up the process? The court has given him and his lawyers 40 days to come up with a response. This is a high worth property and I am paying the mortgage still.

This is my only investment and it's frustrating to see rogue people enjoying my hard earned investment while I am here in Bangalore renting a place.
Any help appreciated.

-- Ravi

Learning

4 Replies

Ravi Soorya (Engineer)     21 February 2011

Any one that can share their comments??

Thanks

S. CHANDRAKANTH (ENGINEER)     01 March 2011

When they seems to be not your tenant's family, you should have gone to police to complain about their stay (on doubt about their activities).  They may run prostitution also, hence this is right time to register a complaint to local poice ( to the inspector only) and make arrangements for proper investigation.  You may have to stay for couple of days but it is worth for good

DEFENSE ADVOCATE.-firmaction@g (POWER OF DEFENSE IS IMMENSE )     01 March 2011

Please be careful in making allagations otherwise it will boomrang on you. Persue civil case.

Ravi Soorya (Engineer)     05 March 2011

Though I have reasonable ground to believe illegal activities, I can't proceed without proper evidence. I am in touch with the JC of police but since this is sub-judice, I was asked to wait. I am losing faith in the Indian legal system. The court won't even listen before delaying the case. There is no effort or accountability to address the merit of the case. No wonder people resort to other means to resolve these issues. We should take a lesson or two from the western countries to make this work...

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register