LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
The Indian Constitution Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Soni (n/a)     02 December 2009

Succession Certificate for Ancestral Property

How can we file for a succession certificate for ancestral property that our late father inherited but the property is still listed in my late grandfather's name?  we have a family settlement deed which is not yet registered but designates a portion in my late father's name.   Also, can we file for separate succession certificates - for bank accounts and property? 


 8 Replies

P.K.Haridasan (Advocate)     06 December 2009

Sucession certificate can be obtained for the money receivable by the deceased.

The immovable property will devolve to the legal heirs  as per the  provisions of personal law of the deceased. Any right on an immovable property cannot be transferred without a registered document if the value of the property exceeds Rs.100/-.

N RAMESH. (Advocate Chennai. Formerly Civil Judge. Mobile.09444261613)     07 December 2009

No succession certificate is required in case of inheritance of immovable property. To mutate the revenue records, Legal heir certificate is to be obtained from the concerned revenue authorities. Succession certificate is required only in case of transfer of shares, securities and money deposits of deceased person. 

Shamsheer Pal Singh Dhillon (law associate)     17 December 2009

can a hindu widow claim shares in her husband's ancestral property of her husband??

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     17 December 2009

 Definately yes

P.K.Haridasan (Advocate)     18 December 2009

A Hindu Widow is entitled to receive her share in the ancestral property of her husband after HINDU SUCCESSION ACT came in to force

Daksh (Student)     02 January 2010

The answer is in affirmative without any doubt.



leeladhar (Sr Engineer)     16 March 2012

Dear Sir,

I have a question. My Grandfather died last Year. Leaving behind certain property and money in bank. No will is made in this regard.He is survived by Widow, Daughter (Married),1st Son (Married) and having Son, 2nd Son not married. All his 100 % property is Ancestral property only. How will this be shared. Who will get what percentage.

I am very new to law field and lot of blogs tell lots of different answers, this made be confused.



Lawyer (student)     25 October 2013

@ N. Ramesh

according to legal heir certificate can be given only to the families of government employees and pensioners.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads


Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query