LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

M. Kannan (Consultant)     23 November 2009

Share in the property of my grandfather to my mother

My grandfather (mother's father) being a self acquired property Owner left the Registered Will when he dies in the year 1977. He has 1 female and 2 male children. My mother got married in the year 1974. As per my grandfather's Will, my grand mother has to enjoy the property till her lifetime and after she dies, the property has to be shared equally by his 2 male children. My grand mother is still alive. I would like to know whether my mother is eligible as per Indian law to ask for share in the property.


 6 Replies

raveendran (chief executive)     23 November 2009

when your grand mother is alive your mother is not entitle to demand any share in the property. Even after the death of your grandmother, as per the will the property will go to the leagtees only and not to your mother.

K. Rajendra Prakash (Advocate)     23 November 2009


george (Inspector)     24 November 2009

Very happy .thanks for the advice

M. Kannan (Consultant)     30 November 2009

Thanks for the reply.

Suppose my grandmother wishes to sell off the property or give the share to her sons before fulfillment of the WILL. Does she do so? Please tell me whether she can sell the property now itself. Another thing is whether she can give share to her daughter nowitself.. Please reply?


Or My grand mother has to enjoy the property till her death as per WILL.

K. Rajendra Prakash (Advocate)     30 November 2009

She can enjoy the property during her lifetime and thereafter the property will be shared by her sons equally.  Neither your grandmother can sell the property nor give share in the said property to her daughter.

Suri.Sravan Kumar (senior)     05 December 2009

i agree with ravindran and K.Rajendra Prakash.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register