LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

vicky (MD)     16 August 2010

Sale using Notarized Power of Attorney

I have just learnt of a fraud that has happened with me and wish to understand what is my current state and how should i move forward.

I owned 25% share in a residential property along with other family members (Mother, Father & Brother). This property was purchased in early 2009. My brother has registered Power from my Father and Mother but not me. During purchase, Brother signed for Mother, Father and himself and I had signed for myself.

Now without me knowing, this property is sold to someone else. When we removed a copy of sales deed executed in Jan 2010, it is mentioned that Brother being the Power Agent of Mother & Father vide registered Power of Attorney and my Power Agent basis Notarized Power of Attorney executed in September 2009 has sold the property and signed on behalf of all of us and has taken agreed money.

I did not know about this sale and was not a part of the negotiations or the deal or have never given any power to anyone or signed before the Notary authority.

What should i do now? Has Brother succeeded or do i have any options here ?

Thanks for all your help in advance ...

Learning

5 Replies

Daksh (Student)     16 August 2010

Dear Vicky,

Immediately put your brother to the notice and move to the Civil court to seek injunction stating that untill and unless the property is partitioned physically it cannot be devided as such the subsequent sale is void.

Do not forget to make the purchaser of the property a party to such injunction proceeding.

Best Regards

Daksh

vicky (MD)     16 August 2010

Thanks for your reply.

I just want to clarify my state at the moment. My brother has not only sold his, mothers & fathers 25% share each (a total of 75%) but also my 25% claiming that he has a notarized power of attorney from me making him my power agent to sell property on my behalf.

Thanks

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     17 August 2010

for.  Vicky :

1.   If your brother has forged your signature or sold your ratio (part)  of the property without taking your written consent,  then the whole transaction is a Criminal Fraud, Forgery & Cheating on you and the best remedy for you is to file a  FIR with the local police department, against your brother.

2.   Next, if the police fails to action against your brother within 7 days,  immediately  file a private complaint with the local Magistrates court, against your brother under the IPC.  IF your brother really has an POA pertaining to you,  THEN your brother will produce it before the police or the court.

3.  Get a stay order from the competent court, directing the society to maintain status-quo on transfer of said property, till disposal of the criminal complaint.  IF you file a Criminal Complaint in the court against your brother,  the new buyer will automatically back off from the deal and make attempts to recover his purchase-money from your brother, thus giving you a legal leverage.

4.  Since it is your brother who is looking for disposal of the property, it is your brother who has to file for a partition suit and not you (as suggested by Mr. Daksh, above).

5.  IF your emotions and sentiments do not permit you to file a criminal proceeding against your brother, for his criminal fraud etc...,   THEN the best thing for you is to sit back with a drink and let your brother enjoy the money from the sale proceeds of the property.

QUOTE :   "The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm"

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal

bhagwat patil (Property due diligence 9422773303)     19 August 2010

FIRST OF ALL GO TO REVENUE DEPT. AND OBJECT THE CHANGE IN ror BY VERTUE OF INDEX 2.THEN FOLLOW STEPS SUGESSETED BY HEMANTJI.

ADVOCATE SRIDHARABABU (Advocate)     19 August 2010

GPA executed before notary is not valid. The following aspects of law will enlighten your case further. Hence registration based on such NOTARISED GPA deed is illegal.

Under Indian Registration Act 1908 refer following sections:-

32. Persons to present documents for registration
Except in the cases mentioned in 24[sections 31, 88 and 89], every document to be registered under this Act, whether such registration be compulsory or optional, shall be presented at the proper registration office-

(a) by some person executing or claiming under the same, or, in the case of a copy of a decree or order, claiming under the decree or order, or

(b) by the representative or assignee of such a person, or

(c) by the agent of such a person, representative or assign, duly authorised by power-of-attorney executed and authenticated in manner hereinafter mentioned.

33. Power-of-attorney recognisable for purposes of section 32

(1) For the purposes of section 32, the following powers-of-attorney shall alone be recognised, namely:-

(a) if the principal at the time of executing the power-of-attorney resides in any part of 18[India] in which this Act is for the time being in force, a power-of-attorney executed before and authenticated by the Registrar or Sub-Registrar within whose district or sub-district the principal resides;

(b) if the principal at the time aforesaid 25[resides in any part of India in which this Act is not in force], a power-of-attorney executed before and authenticated by any Magistrate;

(c) if the principal at the time aforesaid does not reside in 18[India], a power-of-attorney executed before and authenticated by Notary Public, or any court, Judge, Magistrate, 26[Indian] Consul or vice-consul, or representative 27[***] of the Central Government:

PROVIDED that the following persons shall not be required to attend at any registration-office or court for the purpose of executing any such power-of-attorney as is mentioned in clauses (a) and (b) of this section, namely-

(i) persons who by reason of bodily infirmity are unable without risk or serious inconvenience so to attend;

(ii) persons who are in jail under civil or criminal process; and

(iii) persons exempt by law from personal appearance in court.

5[Explanation: In this sub-section "India" means India, as defined in clause (28) of section 3 of the General Clauses Act, 1897.]

(2) In the case of every such person the Registrar or Sub-Registrar or Magistrate, as the case may be, if satisfied that the power-of-attorney has been voluntarily executed by the person purporting to be the principal, may attest the same without requiring his personal attendance at the office or court aforesaid.

(3) To obtain evidence as to the voluntary nature of the execution, the Registrar or Sub-Registrar or Magistrate may either himself go to the house of the person purporting to be the principal, or to the jail in which he is confined, and examine him, or issue a commission for his examination.

(4) Any power-of-attorney mentioned in this section may be proved by the production of it without further proof when it purports on the face of it to have been executed before and authenticated by the person or court hereinbefore mentioned in that behalf.

81. Penalty for incorrectly endorsing, copying, translating or registering documents with intent to injure

Every registering officer appointed under this Act and every person employed in his office for the purposes of this Act, who, being charged with the endorsing, copying, translating or registering of any document presented or deposited under its provisions, endorses, copies, translates or registers such document in a manner which he knows or believes to be incorrect, intending thereby to cause or knowing it to be likely that he may thereby cause injury, as defined in the Indian Penal Code, to any person, shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to seven years, or with fine, or with both.

83. Registering officer may commence prosecutions

(1) A prosecution for any offence under this Act coming to the knowledge of a registering officer in his official capacity may be commenced by or with the permissions of the Inspector-General, 31[***] the Registrar or the Sub-Registrar, in whose territories, district or sub-district, as the case may be, the offence has been committed.

(2) Offences punishable under this Act shall be triable by any court or officer exercising powers not less than those of a Magistrate of the second class.

UNDER INDIAN PENAL CODE YOU MAY REFER FOLLOWING SECTIONS

166. Public servant disobeying law, with intent to cause injury to any person

Whoever, being a public servant, knowingly disobeys any direction of the law as to the way in which he is to conduct himself as such public servant, intending to cause, or knowing it to be likely that he will, by such disobedience, cause injury to any person, shall be punished with simple imprisonment for a term which may extend to one year, or with fine, or with both.

167. Public servant framing an incorrect document with intent to cause injury

Whoever, being a public servant, and being, as such public servant, charged with the preparation or translation of any document, frames or translates that document in a manner which he knows or believes to be incorrect, intending thereby to cause or knowing it to be likely that he may thereby cause injury to any person, shall be punished with imprisonment of either descripttion for a term which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with both

218. Public servant framing incorrect record or writing with intent to save person from punishment or property from forfeiture

Whoever, being a public servant, and being as such public servant, charged with the preparation of any record or other writing, frames that record or writing in a manner which he knows to be incorrect, with intent to cause, or knowing it to be likely that he will thereby cause, loss or injury to the public or to any person, or with intent thereby to save, or knowing it to be likely that he will thereby save, any person from legal punishment, or with intent to save, or knowing that he is likely thereby to save, any property from forfeiture or other charge to which it is liable by law, shall be punished with imprisonment of either descripttion for a term which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with both.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register