Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

AVS (Manager)     02 March 2015

Road tax

Dear Sir,

I work for an IT company and shifted to chennai from delhi in february 2015 due to a job change.My job requires me to shuttle between places all over India. Since my car is of Delhi registration and the lifetime tax is already paid for; my question is -

according to the motor vehicles act, how long am I allowed to drive my car in another state without changing the registration number and/or without paying the local state road tax?

Also, is there any provision for paying a temporary local state road tax for a limited period of time? 

Thank you in advance

Learning

3 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     05 March 2015

Generally the NOC will be valid for six months on such issues within which you should arrange for transfer to the present place of residence/working. Make enquiry from RTO office and get your job done at the earliest to avoid complications in this regard in the later stage.

AVS (Manager)     05 March 2015

Sir,

thank you for your reply.

My situation is - 

1. I have not taken the NOC since it is a complicated process and generally takes 2-3 months to get from the RTO. 

2. Car is on HP. I bought the car 2nd hand and it is 5 years old. The loan is supposed to go on for another 2 years

3. I may shift again soon to Pune maybe, in that case do i need to pay road tax again?

isnt there a way to pay somekind of temporary tax for a year at Chennai?

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     06 March 2015

You may call on the RTO office nearer to your place and clarify the doubts and proceed as per their advise.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register