LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Divya (Partner)     29 June 2013

Rented a 60 year old building and not doing any maintenance

I rented a old rowhouse for my godown purpose.

When I came in there was no problem. With in a week water started to leak from the roof. My landlord came in and blamed us for the nails that we hammered on the wall for the leakage which was absolutely wrong. 

I asked them to do the repair. They did something on the terrace. Within 10 days again in the next rain itself, water again started to come in. Now my landlord is asking me to pay for the repair which would cost approximately 57000. 

Only after these problem we got to know that it is such a old building and it was not even built with concret/cement. 

Now i cannot pay that 57K for the repair and I cannot vacate also as I have spent some 25000 for flooring and Racks. I cannot reuse the flooring. If I move out,can I claim the lose that would be caused on the flooring and shifting charges.

I want to make my next move legally. please suggest

Learning

4 Replies

Hemang (Advocate)     29 June 2013

Hire the services of good lawyer doing on Rent legislation. 

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     29 June 2013

Is there any rent agreement having clause of " Owner has agreed to carry out the major repir work of house at his cost"?

Divya (Partner)     29 June 2013

There is no agreement signed like that.

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     29 June 2013

Every state has its own Rent Act, so better consult some local lawyer who knows the nitty gritty of the rent act of your state, so that he can advice you in view of the corresponding provisions relating to tenant's rights.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register