LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nikhil SHETTY   29 June 2021

Rental agreement

I am looking after my grand mothers building collecting rents on monthly basis ,the tenant as not paid 2 installments during lock down and he is not ready to pay back the amount The agreement as got lapsed , I don't want him to get continued despite he was not paying monthly rents at regular times

The witness who as signed during rent agreement was made is speaking in favour of the tenant if the case is filed against tenant they are likely to support them

we are from poor background we don't have moral or financial support

please some one suggest on this how to resolve this issue effectively with instant

Learning

4 Replies

Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)     29 June 2021

Dear Mr Nikhil,

Every State has its own tenancy law. However, there are provisions in every tenancy law i.e. eviction of tenant on certain specified grounds. You may file for eviction for tenant on one or more of such grounds. Further, in the eviction suit, also claim the unpaid rent along with other costs and expenses. 

And do not worry about the witness (attesting witness). He has to speak the truth about the execution of rent deed because he has signed the document. A document can be sent by the court to forensic lab for finding out whether a particular person has signed a document. Right before his cross-examination, while he is standing in the witness box, tell him to read Section 191 & 193 of  Indian Penal Code and ask him he understands what it is and what it means. If can't  read, tell your advocate to read make him understand.  Rest your counsel will take care in cross.

Regards

Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)

District & Session Court, Chandigarh

Punjab & Haryana High Court, at Chandigarh.

Disclaimer:- the opinion is only for guidance.   

Respected shubam sir

I belong to Karnataka state ,how long does this dispute takes to resolve the issue

Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)     29 June 2021

Dear Mr Nikhil, 

Although it cannot be precisely estimated that how much time will it take because it depends on many many factors. However, generally eviction suits are over in 8 months to 1.5 year at the rent controller stage (or by whatever name the authority is called in a particular area).

In some States the rent control is Judicial Magistrate First Class, while in some it is Sub Divisional Magistrate etc. In some States the defendant has to take leave to defend however in some States, leave to defend is a matter of right. 

But you must keep in mind that a tenant cannot be thrown out without following proper procedure of law.  So if you don't want the tenant to continue the only way you have is to file the eviction suit. 

Regards

Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)

Thank you sir for your valuable time have a great day

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register