LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Subbu (None)     04 October 2013

Reliance broadband harassment

I have availed broadband service at Hyderabad and I have a billing issue (just around 2k) with Reliance Broadband that we disagree.  I am receiving coercive call from person(s) claiming to speak from Tis Hazari Courts, New Delhi, demanding to pay outstanding (false) within next hour, else my file would move for necessary proceedings. Although I think it is handiwork of recovery agents, I appreciate if somebody can clarify on the following points:

1)   While I stay in Hyd and the service is availed in Hyd, Can they file case in New Delhi for such a meagre amount?

2)  Would this tantamount to criminal case where an arrest warrant can be issued, or police can arrive at my address?

3) Can I contest this case from Hyd by engaging a Counsel over internet ?

Appreciate your advice. Thanks !

Learning

4 Replies

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     04 October 2013

Dear Querist

my opinion on your queries are as under:

1)   While I stay in Hyd and the service is availed in Hyd, Can they file case in New Delhi for such a meagre amount?

Opinion: they can file a civil suit for recovery due to their branch or head office.

2)  Would this tantamount to criminal case where an arrest warrant can be issued, or police can arrive at my address?

Opinion: it will be only civil case & not a criminal, no arrest warrant will be issued. no need to worry

3) Can I contest this case from Hyd by engaging a Counsel over internet ?
opinion: yes, you can fight the case through advocate.

Feel Free to Call

Subbu (None)     04 October 2013

Dear Mr. Nadeem Qureshi,

I truly appreciate your quick advice that dispelled mental agony.

Assuming civil suit is decided in their favour in my abscence, can I comply paying as per direction of the court (with fine) if any and subsequently approach Consumer Forum locally for defective service. I am taking this approach, as it might prove to be more costly to contest than to comply  and subsequenlty seek justice. Is there anything wrong in this approach. 

Thanks once again.

binay (advocate)     04 October 2013

plz go to consumer forum

Subbu (None)     05 October 2013

Upon insisting on case number and questioning why demand notice was not sent, they got silenced. Looks like extorsionists engaged by the corporates are at work illegally. Other querists, please do not panic if such calls from courts or police stations suddenly threaten you to make immediate payments. Thanks for all the expert advice given to me.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register