Criminal Trident Pack: IPC, CrPC and IEA by Sr. Adv. G.S Shukla and Adv. Raghav Arora
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Well-Wisher (NA)     05 December 2015

Registering a live in relation

Hello Learned Members,

This is my first post in this forum. I've a question, whose answer I've been trying to obtain from multiple sources, but in each attempt, the answer came out at best in a vague and contradicting form.


Me and my Wife have been living like married couple for the last 8+ years and even have a 5 year old kid. The society recognizes us as married couple. Our relation is thriving and so is our relation with both the families. The only thing lacking is that we never got married socially i.e. we never followed any religious customs that our society calls marriage.



I've firm belief on marriage as an institution, but as I'm partly atheist(but fully spiritual) I do not want to get married following any religious customs. In view of this, can the learned members suggest, how can I get our relation formalized in government documents?



In other words, how can I get a marriage certificate, without having to go through customs of Church/Temple/Mosque? Is there any special provision that allows to get marriage certificate without having to follow religious customs?



Thanks a lot in advance.



 7 Replies

saravanan s (legal advisor)     05 December 2015

Go for court marriage or if u are from tamilnadu go for suyamariyathai thirumanam
1 Like

laxmi kant joshi (instructor)     05 December 2015

If you both are hindu then marry in the arya samaj mandir or go for court marriage.
1 Like

Well-Wisher (NA)     05 December 2015

Originally posted by : saravanan s
  Go for court marriage or if u are from tamilnadu go for suyamariyathai thirumanam  

Thank you for clearing my doubts. I was of the impression that court marriage is nothing but the fomality that we undertake to register a marriage. My bad. I think I'll go ahead with court marriage. Thanks again.


Well-Wisher (NA)     05 December 2015

Originally posted by : laxmi kant joshi
  If you both are hindu then marry in the arya samaj mandir or go for court marriage.  

Thank you so much for your reply. But as I said, I'm partly atheist(both born Hindu), so not comfortable undergoing a temple marriage. Do not have much idea about Arya samaj beyond what I once read in my school days. They as I understand are not irreligious. I'll go ahead with "Court marriage" as advised by you and  "saravanan s".

Anand Bali Adv. (Advocate Solicitor & Consultant)     06 December 2015

Dera Friend,

There is no need of going for court marriage also as you both consider yourselves maried and have one 5 year old baby boy out of your relationship, you only have to submit an affidavit stating so that your both are in live in relationship from last 8 years and out of that you are blessed a boy o alos who is 5 yeeras old now and toour satisfaction we want to get registered our marriage with the registrar to get a marriage certificate. Sub mit tis affidavit with the form of tha application for the certificate and present yourselves before the registrar of marriage to repeat the same in fornt of him under oath. thats all Wou will get the certifiacte for your benifit. here the registrar may give some time for the publication also to invite the public objections if any and ask/ interogate you on the sumbitted statements by you to get verify the truth, which please note.

Here the date of marriage will be mentioned as same of your first day of living togahter.

1 Like

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     13 December 2015

You can get your marriage registered by solemnising a court marriage under special marriages act (in case you do not want it to be registered under any religious act)

1 Like


Dear Sir/Madam,

Since your case is complicated case as such I require documents and same may be send to my email/PM (personal mail) for detailed legal advise.


With regards,

Legal Expert

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query