LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raghu240682 (n/a)     21 January 2008

References regarding divorce procedure

Can anyone give me some info on complete rules for filing a divorce and the consequences? Give me all possible references and advices possible. Hope to have a quick response.


 3 Replies

Prakash Yedhula (Lawyer)     21 January 2008

Try the link below for a quick reference on the grounds of divorce under Hindu Law


Shambasiv (n/a)     21 January 2008

The link below would further throw some light


bupesh (n/a)     21 January 2008

[font=""Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif""]In the event of your being a Hindu, that is Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist or Jain by religion, you would be governed by the provisions of the Hindu Marriage Act.[url=https://www.vakilno1.com/bareacts/hindumarriageact/hindumarriageact.htm][/url] Divorce under the said Act can be obtained only on the grounds specified under Section 12, whereby a person can seek divorce on the following grounds : (a) If the other party after the marriage had voluntary sexual inter-course with another person. (b) If the other party after marriage has treated the complainant with cruelty. (c) If the other party has deserted the complainant for a continuous period of not less than two years. (d) If the other party has seized to be Hindu by converting to another religion. (e) If the other party has been in curably of unsound mind or has been suffering from mental disorder of such a nature that the complainant cannot be reasonably expected to live with her/him. (f) If the other party has been suffering from an incurable form of leprosy. (g) If the other party has been suffering from venereal disease in a communical form. (h) If the other party has renounced the world. (i) If the other party has not been heard of being alive for a period of over 7 years. Divorce can also be obtained by mutual consent by Husband and Wife in terms of Section 13 B of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955. The provisions of the said Section require that the husband and wife should be living separately for a period of more than 1 year and they are not able to live together any further. A joint petition can be filed in this regard and after the filing of the same the Court grants a period of six months for the parties to come again and make a statement confirming the said consent. It is only after this second consent having been given by both the parties after six months of the filing of the petition for mutual consent, that a decree for divorce is passed by the Court. If during this period of six months after the filing of the petition, any of the parties withdraws the consent, the divorce can not be granted.[/font]

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register