These kind of websites need Code of Ethics
As the computer era evolves each day, our society is gradually forming into a gigantic chain through the increasing use of the Internet. Human beings interact with each other every day by using the Net. Just as ethics evolve as human societies grow and change, so similar ethical questions are raised during the evolution of this global electronic community.
How can ethics be defined? They are our moral code. Ethics describe how we determine what is good and right from what is bad and wrong. They are somewhat abstract yet definitely the art of the human race. They distinguish us from other creatures in nature.
FOLLOWING CAN BE TERMED AS CODE OF ETHICS
Be Honest and Fair
This website must not be used for sending messages that use obscene, abusive, or threatening language or that violate another person's right to privacy.
Users should be honest and fair in gathering and interpreting information.
- Never plagiarize.
- All users should observe basic courtesy in his/her net dealings. The golden rule is to be courteous and respectful of others, who are online. Remember the rule when sending an email, chatting, messaging or speaking in a forum.
- We must not use rude or bad language while using e-Mail, chatting, blogging and social networking, We need to respect their views and should not criticize anyone on the internet.
- Distinguish between advocacy, commentary and factual information. Even advocacy writing and commentary should not misrepresent fact or context.
- Cyberbullying is a growing concern for the internet users. It is important to keep a guard on any person trying to threaten or intimidate you on the net. Local law enforcement should be contacted, if the user comes across with messages that are threatening or raise security concern.
- Ethical users treat sources and subjects as human beings deserving of respect.
Show compassion for those who may be affected adversely by its content. Use special sensitivity when dealing with women and inexperienced sources or subjects.
- Show good taste. Avoid pandering to lurid curiosity.
- Be cautious about identifying juvenile suspects, victims of s*x crimes and criminal suspects before the formal filing of charges.
- Admit mistakes and correct them promptly.
- Disclose conflicts of interest, affiliations, activities and personal agendas.
- Be wary of sources offering information for favors. When accepting such information, disclose the favors.
- Expose unethical practices of other users.
- Abide by the same high standards to which they hold others.
As a public citizen, a lawyer should seek improvement of the law, the administration of justice and the quality of service rendered by the legal profession. As a member of lawyersclub, a lawyer should cultivate knowledge of the law beyond its use for clients, employ that knowledge in reform of the law and work to strengthen legal education. A lawyer should be mindful of deficiencies in the administration of justice and of the fact that the poor, and sometimes persons who are not poor, cannot afford competent legal assistance, and should therefore devote professional time and civic influence in their behalf. A lawyer should aid the legal profession in pursuing these objectives and should help the bar regulate itself in the public interest.
What do you think? Is there anything you think should be added, changed or removed? Post your comments below.