New LIVE Course: Learn the Practical Nuances of IPR Drafting by Adv. Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

guddubhundu2028 (n/a)     17 February 2010

Re registration of private vehicle of defence personnel

is it compulsory for defence personnel to re register private vehicles at the state RTO to wherever they are posted.If the vehicle is registred in harayana. and the officer is posted in  maharshtra.Will he have to pay lifetime road tax gain in maharshtra.


 12 Replies

Arvind Singh Chauhan (advocate)     17 February 2010

No need to re register, if life time tax has been paid during registration earlier.

1 Like

Feroz M Shafeeque (Police Officer)     17 February 2010

There is exception for central govt employees and defence personnel. They can also opt for annual payment of road tax instead of life term.

guddubhundu2028 (n/a)     17 February 2010

thnx Mr Feroz M shafeeque and arvid sir, but can u pl. tell me under what rule of M.TAct Defence personnel r exempted bcoz one of my frnds driving lice. is confiscated by R.T.O official and asked him to pay Rs40,000

thnx a lot

with rgds


Feroz M Shafeeque (Police Officer)     18 February 2010

There will be Government order for each state as per provisions of Motor vehicle taxation act of the respective state exempting defence personnel and central govt. employees.


I could not find the same relating to maharashtra or haryana on googling; think some local lawyer can help to find the law.

1 Like

Umesh (Commander)     25 January 2012

I am serving Naval Officer and I have a private car registered in Kerala. I was driving in Bangalore, and I was stopped by the RTO and all my car documents were confiscated, stating that I had not paid raod tax for driving in Karnataka. I had life time tax in Kerala. I had to pay Rs 2,220/- as road tax for one year to get my documents back. Can someone please tell me, if serving defence personnel are required to pay road tax each time they get transferred to a new State other than the state where the vehicle was originally registered?

Santosh Kumar Tiwari (advocate)     21 July 2015


There is a provision of exemption from reregistration of Motor Vehicle in the state of Kerala for the personnel posted to Kerala. This is state level exemption and available through state govt only. This is vide letter no. GO(P) No. 14/94/PW&T dated 07/03/94 of Govt of Kerla.


Attached File : 161227 20150721080827 726538418 motervehicle tax payment.pdf downloaded: 1480 times
1 Like

Vijay Kumar   04 February 2016

Namaste, I am a central government civilian employee with ministry of defence (transferable) and holding a two wheeler purchased in 2001 in Jodhpur, Rajastham and brought the vehicle to Hyderabad in 2001 itself after getting transferred. Now its life term of fifteen years is going to be over. For renewing it in Telangana, what are the taxes that could be levied for re-registration. Is re-regisration must. I am the single owner and vehicle is in good condition with PUC being checked regularly. Is there a way to go for third party insurance even after fifteen years. And when I contacted RTA, RR distt., they were levying penalty+entry tax calculating from 2001 till date that roughly comes to cost of the vehicle, is there any suggestion please. Thanks for your time.

Anant   09 March 2017

Hi Sir ,

 my brother is in army . he brought bike in chandigarh and paid life time tax. now he posted  in kashmir so he can not use bike there . he sent bike in pune which I am useing . my question is:  without NOC he sent to pune . he will come from kashmir they he will use.  but i am using the same bike in pune.  right now i don`t have NOC and road tax . so how i will use the same bike in pune. which Document I need to carry with bike drive.  please reply

Mayank paliwal   05 May 2019

Hi there.. I am a serving defence officer. Recently telangana government has announced that they would not be charging for re registration of defence personnel vehicle in thier state, provided you have paid life tax in some other state.. Which other state has this faculty or privilege extended to defence personnels?? Does rajasthan also extends this privilege??

navneet sharma   06 July 2020

I am a serving armed forces officer and have one bike and car registered at Portblair, Andaman & Nicobar Islands. Do I have to re register my both vehicles at my new duty station (Delhi) at UP, Haryana or Delhi. Is there any exemption existing for the same? {Have chcked frm car24(similar apps). They don't deal with vehicles registered at pprtblair} Also my bike's registeration is expiring soon, can I extend its registration life further as it is very good condition and ran only 29000 kms in last 15 yrs Pls guide

vishnu vijayan   26 October 2020

I have my bike with Andaman registration. Should i pay road tax when i get transfer to a new state?

1 Like

Pj Prasad   24 November 2021

I got change of address from Prayag raj Uttar Pradesh to Hyderabad Telangana on 22 Nov21.

Defence personnel exempted for re roadtax.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register