IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raj (Tech Lead)     04 October 2013

Query on succession / letter of administration

My wife passed away intestate leaving behind a flat in Mumbai. There are a couple of savings a/c on her own name. Also, there is a housing loan still outstanding on her flat. EMI of the flat is going from one of her savings a/c as of now. 

She is survived by me and my minor son aged 6. We have applied for Letter of Administration at hon'ble bombay high court before 9 months. My lawyer says that the court may keep my son's part of the flat with itself. What does it mean? My son's part of the amount from savings a/c will have to be made as FDs. Wanted to know expert's views on this. 

My concern is about the outstanding housing loan on the flat. I will have to take it on my name?


 2 Replies

Kolla Gangadhar (Practicing Advocate since 1986)     05 October 2013

Your wife died intestate you have apply for succession certificate and your son is 6 year old minor his share will be allotted court may direct fixed deposit etc., be kept till attains majority you have no right over your son' s share.

Raj (Tech Lead)     05 October 2013

Thanks for a quick response. Its true that I do not have right over my son's part of the flat. Pls note there is a big outstanding housing loan on the flat. I am worried about the same.

I want to know if I can request the court to allow the share of my son from my wife's savings a/c to be used to repay some part of her outstanding housing loan? This is in place of making the FD of the amount of my son's share of savings a/c. 

Any suggestion will be gratefully accepted.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query