Criminal Trident Pack: IPC, CrPC and IEA by Sr. Adv. G.S Shukla and Adv. Raghav Arora
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

legal (advocate)     15 March 2008

Property rights of an only married daughter

Hello All,

I am ashwini. I will be getting married shortly in an intercaste love marriage to which my parents are opposed. I am the only daughter without any other brothers or sisters. My father has property handed over by my grandfather also he has acquired many others.

He has threteaned me that he will disown me and not give anything if i marry against his wish. Can my father do this legally ? can i claim my share if he decides to give away the property to someone else or donate it to any trust/orphanage ? do i have any rights/say over the poperty inherited as well acquired by my father ?. what steps can i take if my parents decide to do this ?

thanks in advance


 1 Replies

R. Brizmohan Singh (Practising Lawyer)     15 March 2008

Dear Ashwini,

You stated that your father has two kinds of properties. One being self acquired with his own earnings and the other which he got from his father. You can have no say in the matter with regard to disposal of the self acquired property in any which way your father feels but the one he got from his father cannot be willed and you seem to be the only heir to it. You can get this property but only after the life time of your father. If ever he tries to dispose off the property to which he succeeded, you may obtain an injunction from a Civil Court having jurisdiction over the area in which this property is situate restraining your father from alienating the same.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query