LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anirudh Singh   16 April 2023

Property ownership transfer and challenges

Hi, I have a land of 4.5 katta. Me and my older daughter bought and co-owner of the land and built house in it. The house occupies 60% of the total land.
I have allowed my younger daughter to construct first floor, but there is no legal deed only verbal. The 1st floor is also not registered yet.
I want to give all my shares of the land and house to my older daughter and dont want my younger daughter to have any claim on the property now or after my death.

Questions:

1. How can I make sure that my younger daughter cannot claim anything from land on which the house is build and as well as the vacant land.
  2. Also she is not ready to sell the 1st floor to us. Is it possible to legally ask her to sell.
  3. If my younger daughter can have a claim, I was thinking of seperating the 40% vacant land and prepare a deed on my older daughter's name so my younger daughter can't have claim. Is it possible?

Please guide.

Learning

13 Replies

P. Venu (Advocate)     16 April 2023

Law apart, why do you want to discriminate against the younger daughter?

The posting suggests deeper issues. Please post complete facts.

The facts posted suggests the querist to be a senior citizen. Life has its own ocurses and surprises. None can be sure which child or relative could be of assistance when one really needs such assistance.

It is my considered opinion that, as the father, the querist need to amicably settle the issue.

Hi Sir,

Sure sir let me explain.

When we purchase the land and build house back in 1997, all the expenses was mine and my older daughter. I haven't got much money to carry out my monthly expenses and medical expenses of me and my wife. My older daughter is being taking care of everything from last 23 years. She is a widow pensioner. I think she is the rightful owner as the expenses she did on us exceed till today way more with comparison of the value of land & house.

My younger however is doing very well, her husband is a retired govt. teacher and getting decent pension. Her son is also very well todo now, getting good. Unfortunately till now I haven't got any kind of support from her of any kind.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     16 April 2023

Since your second daughter has constructed the first floor out of her funds, she is entitled to own that floor, though there is no written agreement to this effect.

You allowed her to construct the same, hence under this situation you either return her funds with interest or execute a registered sale deed towards the first floor rights alone without giving any rights to the land underneath.

You have to amicably sort out the issue because you only permitted her to construct a floor above your house out of her own funds. 

Thanks you sir for you reply.

Yes sir, we have also discussed with my younger daughter and agreed to refund her cost which she spend on first floor with interest as per current rate with other expences if any.

But she dont want to leave and demanding 50% of the property I own out of total. Also she said to drag me to court as well if I dont give 50%. 

What were the terms and conditions on which the elder daughter had been permitted to construct? How was the permission and related formalities were finalised with the local body (Municipality/Panchayat etc)?

Hello Sir,

Just a correction, my younger daughter has been allowed to construct in first floor and not my elder daughter.

We dont have written terms and conditions. We allowed my younger daughter on the basis that she will just live in first floor. 

1st floor is not registered yet in municipality after the house is constructed and we are still paying house tax same as it before. But when we registered our house design plan initially we also had the 1st floor design registered as well.

Okay, the property belongs to you and your elder daughter. And the younger one has been allowed to construct the first floor.

To my knowledge, construction entails no registration, but a permission from the local body and subequent occupation/completion certificate based on which it is assessed to building tax.

Anyhow you can convey your title in the property to the elder daughter through a gift or settlement deed making due provision for younger one's investment towards its improvement.

Thank you for the response.

Could you please clear up the below part, I didn't get

"making due provision for younger one's investment towards its improvement."

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     17 April 2023

Your younger daughter is a licencee who do not have any right, interest or title except claim and possession of first floor of the house which is stated to have been purchased (self-acquired) by you with your elder daughter. 

Your younger daughter may be ousted from the property by filing a suit for eviction through a local lawyer.

Anirudh Singh   20 April 2023

Thank you Sir for the reply.

Quick clarification, after 12 year of possession, someone is entitled for a claim right?

P. Venu (Advocate)     21 April 2023

It is not mere 12 years of possession, but that of adverse possession.

Anirudh Singh   22 April 2023

Thank you sir.

Is my case fall under adverse possession. Could you please help me understand.

P. Venu (Advocate)     23 April 2023

Facts posted suggest no case of adverse possession. It appears that there are deeper issues. If so, post complete facts. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More