Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

dhawal maheshwari (article)     21 February 2013

Probation period

Dea Sir,

Please assist me with the below query:

I am working with a CA firm. The appointment letter says "2 months notice period if i leave within a period of 2 years" . I am on probation for 180 days and have completed 2 months at this place. Now i have given a 15 days notice to them for resignation. They are not accepting it and demanding 2 months notice period or 2 months pay. What should i do? is it any where defined in the law that notice period in the probation cannot be more than 15days or so? No where in the appointment letter they have defined the notice period on probation, it is only verbal that 15 days notice to be given.

Pls help.

Learning

2 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     22 February 2013

The o/o CA is not Shop or commercial establishment.

SE Act Bombay

2.Definitions.

(27)

"Shop" means

NOTES'

The Office of Chartered Accountant with article clerks and one salaries ordinary

clerk is not a commercial establishment so as to attract the provisions of the Act.

N.E. Merchant v. State 1968 LIC 1034 AIR Born.282 1968 Cri.LJ1041.

And

HC Karnataka decision in case of :

Phillipos_&_Company_And_Others_vs_The_State_on_11_September,_1989

This implies appointment letter/notice period etc as in SE Act may not apply.

Even though user of premises is under the local municipal laws and such laws are different in different States, the above stated analogy of the court decisions would apply with equal force.

You may check the status as in your location/state.

The Articled Clerk is a trainee attached to a practicing Chartered Accountant.

Another important change brought by the ICAI is that the full-time salaried employees in CA firms can also train articled clerks.

You may go thru:

Code of Conduct For Chartered

Accountancy Students

Articled trainee cannot terminate his articles at will nor can he claim it as a matter of right. The articles can be terminated only by mutual agreement with the Employer in accordance with Regulation 56

12.2 In case of termination by mutual agreement, the articled trainee may enter into fresh articles for the reminder term of his service in accordance with Regulation 57.

{ Transfer/Termination of Articleship [Regulation 56(1)] }

The guidelines are issued by ICAI, so it shall be appropriate to check with it and a competent and experienced labor law consultant/service lawyer.

Attached File : 943587407 the bombay shops establishments act.pdf, 943587407 11447p742-745(1).pdf, 943587407 n.e. merchant and anr. vs state on 31 july, 1967.pdf downloaded: 148 times

Kumar Doab (FIN)     22 February 2013

Attached.

Attached File : 943587407 phillipos & company and others vs the state on 11 september, 1989.pdf downloaded: 81 times

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register