Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kishore (Sr. Executive)     15 August 2011

Power of attorney (poa) for nri

Hi,

Further to my other posts in which I mentioned that I'm filing Writ Petition in High court of Karnataka against MEA and Regional Passport Office Bangalore.

I sent a POA to my lawyer after Notarization. I didn't Appostille it from FCO (Foreign & Commenwealth Office) and didn't get it attested from High Commission Of India London.

My lawyer has filed the writ petition only to be refused by the Judge after 6 months. I'm not sure why High Court took 6 months to admit my case which required immediate attention and if they had to reject the application then they should have done at the time of filing the case itself.

Firstly my lawyer should have advised me earlier that I need to get it attested from High Commission of India before sending it to him.

Next I'm doing POA again.

I've notarized it and then I'll get Appostille from FCO office in London, after that I'll get it attested from, High Commission Of India London.

High commission Of India in London might refuse to attest because my passport is expired, and this is the reason why I've to file the case. So it is chicken and egg situation here.

AFAIK Indian court should accept Appostille as India is signatory to Geneva convention. Notary also advised the same.

Can anyone let me know if High Court will accept the Appostille Power Of Attorney or not?

Learning

2 Replies

Yogesh Anand (Head- Legal AVP)     23 August 2012

it should!!!

aviramv@yahoo.com (aviramv@yahoo.com)     10 July 2015

As per what I understand from living here in New Zealand, you only need to get a PoA attested from the Embassy. If you got there in person, they will attest it (effectively execute the PoA) for you there and then. If you cannot go to the embassy (apply by mail), you need to get the documents apostilled first.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register