Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Dinesh (Network Engineer)     21 January 2014

Pf fraud

Hi All,

I left my previous organization on 12th August 2011 & applied for PF witthdrawal after resignation.Since then i have not received my PF.On continous follow up with HR,they say that we are following with PF office & cant question EPFO about their work as they are govt employee.When i asked for acknowledgement copy HR told me that PF office do not provide acknowledgement because if they provide the same they have to process it within 3 months.When i registered my grievance EPFO portal i came to know that my PF account no. (which was mentioned on salary slip) belongs to someone esle whose case is already settled in FEb,2012.They also provided me the cheque nos & beneficiary bank account no.

When i asked my HR regarding this  & requested to provide correct PF account no. they told me that the acount no. is correct which they have provided.Then i filed an RTI application with concerned PF office & same reply i got from EPFO that account belongs to someone else.

I sent registered letter & reminder to HR & CEO of company to explain the matter but didint got any reply.

Then I went to local police station to file an FIR againt the company for fruad & cheating of employee PF but refused to file it telling me that your case is civil matter & suggested me to approach labour court or civil court.

Kindly suggest me what should i do to get my PF, i am very frustrated & have gone through lot of stress in last 2 & half yrs.

Learning

15 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     21 January 2014

Other thread by the querist: https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/details.asp?mod_id=52707&offset=2#.Ut5UBNK6aXY EPFO has to act in this matter. If it has issued reply by RTI then it has to take action against Employer for deducting PF from your wages and not depositing in your PF a/c.............................issued by it and written by it on wage slip. The reply by RTI, copy of salary slip is sufficient for you to lodge complaint with RPFC.

Dinesh (Network Engineer)     22 January 2014

Thanks kumar for valuable feedback.

I have already registered my grievance EPFO portal & requested them to take action against employer for PF fraud but instead of that they gave me the same answer that your pf account no. belongs to someone else & contact your employer for correct pf account no.Now what should i do?Which court should i appeal whether consumer court or civil or labour court.Can i take action against both employer & EPFO?

Why police is not registering FIR in this case?Please revert.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     23 January 2014

action taken by you so far does not appear to be incorrect.

rather the reply of police is not correct.  It appears that your PF dues are deducted and not deposited.  If this is true then it is criminal case under section 406/409 of IPC and it is cognizable offence and police has direct jurisdiction.  It is not clear what you stated in the application to thana.

Police is also incorrect to say that you should approach civil court or labour court.  PF default and frauds do not fall in jurisdiction of either or them.

You can take copies of Form 3A and 6A and Form 12A (for entire period of your service) submitted by the company under RTI from EPFO.  This document will prove that whether at all your PF is deposited or not and if so in which name  and can file case of evasion with EPFO requesting for action under section 7A of the EPF&MP Act 1952 and requesting for your presence on each hearing.

Dinesh (Network Engineer)     24 January 2014

Thank you sudhir sir for this important information.

I will be filing an RTI application tomorrow.I would like to know more about Form 3A and 6A and Form 12A as i searched on net but didnt got more information.

When i went to local police station near to my locality which comes under thane city police,i tried to explain the case in brief but  instead of listening  they told me there must be dispute between you & organization & that is why my organization not giving PF.Even then i briefly expained to them but in vain.Then I  visited EOW to complain about fraud case but got the same answer as that of thane police. Now i am planning to register online NC because local polic station is not entertaining me, but confused on which portal  either mumbaipolice or thanepolice should i register the case as i am living in thane city & organization is located in mumbai,please guide in this regard. 

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     24 January 2014

Form 3A

a statement in respect of individual worker indicatinghow much amount has been deposited per month in his account

Form 6A

a statement inrespct of whole company for whole year indicating total annual remittance in respect of each employee

Form 12A

monthly challan submitted in SBI.

Sp far you have only visited police station and tried to verbally explain and submitted no application/complaint./ 

read section 405 of IPC with reference to explanation 1&2
405. Criminal breach of trust

Whoever, being in any manner entrusted with property, or with any dominion over property, dishonestly misappropriates or converts to his own use that property, or dishonestly uses or disposes of that property in violation of any direction of law prescribing the mode in which such trust is to be discharged, or of any legal contract, express or implied, which he has made touching the discharge of such trust, or willfully suffers any other person so to do, commits "criminal breach of trust".

168[Explanation 169[1]- A person, being an employer 170[of an establishment whether exempted under section 17 of the Employees' Provident Funds and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952 (19 of 1952), or not] who deducts the employee's contribution from the wages payable to the employee for credit to a Provident Fund or Family Pension Fund established by any law for the time being in force, shall be deemed to have been entrusted with the amount of the contribution so deducted by him and if he makes default in the payment of such contribution to the said Fund in violation of the said law, shall be deemed to have dishonestly used the amount of the said contribution in violation of a direction of law as aforesaid.]

171[Explanation 2- A person, being an employer, who deducts the employees' contribution from the wages payable to the employee for credit to the Employees' State Insurance Fund held and administered by the Employees' State Insurance Corporation established under. the Employees' State Insurance Act, 1948 (34 of 1948), shall be deemed to have been entrusted with the amount of the contribution so deducted by him and if he makes default in the payment of such contribution to the said Fund in violation of the said Act, shall be deemed to have dishonestly used the amount of the said contribution in violation of a direction of law as aforesaid.]

Illustrations

(a) A, being executor to the will of a deceased person, dishonestly disobeys the law which directs him to divide the effects according to the will, and appropriate them to his own use. A has committed criminal breach of trust.

(b) A is a warehouse-keeper. Z going on a journey, entrusts his furniture to A, under a contract that it shall be returned on payment of a stipulated sum for warehouse room. A dishonestly sells the goods. A has committed criminal breach of trust.

(c) A, residing in Calcutta, is agent for Z, residing at Delhi. There is an express or implied contract between A and Z, that all sums remitted by Z to A shall be invested by A, according to Z's direction. Z remits a lakhs of rupees to A, with directions to A to invest the same in Company's paper. A dishonestly disobeys the direction and employs the money in his own business. A has committed criminal breach of trust.

(d) But if A, in the last illustration, not dishonestly but in good faith, believing that it will be more for Z's advantage to hold shares in the Bank of Bengal, disobeys Z's directions, and buys shares in the Bank of Bengal, for Z, instead of buying Company's paper, here, though Z should suffer loss, and should be entitled to bring a civil action against A, on account of that loss, yet A, not having acted dishonestly, has not committed criminal breach of trust.

(e) A, a revenue-officer, is entrusted with public money and is either. directed by law, or bound by a contract, express or implied, with the Government, to pay into a certain treasury all the public money which he holds. A dishonestly appropriates the money. A has committed criminal breach of trust.

(f) A, a carrier, is entrusted by Z with property to be carried by ]and or by water. A dishonestly misappropriates the property. A has committed criminal breach of trust.

also read section 406

Section 406. Punishment for criminal breach of trust

Whoever commits criminal breach of trust shall be punished with imprisonment of either descripttion for a term which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with both.

CLASSIFICATION OF OFFENCE

Punishment—Imprisonment for 3 years and fine, or both—Cognizable—Non-bailable—Triable by Magistrate of the first class—Compoundable by the owner of the property in respect of which breach of trust has been committed, with the permission of the court.

also read section 409

Section 409. Criminal breach of trust by public servant, or by banker, merchant or agent

Whoever, being in any manner entrusted with property, or with any dominion over property in his capacity of a public servant or in the way of his business as a banker, merchant, factor, broker, attorney or agent, commits breach of trust in respect of that property, shall be punished with 1[imprisonment for life], or with imprisonment of either descripttion for a term which may extend to ten years, and shall also be liable to fine.

Punishment—Imprisonment for life, or imprisonment for 10 years and fine—Cognizable—Non-bailable—Triable by Magistrate of the first class—Non-compoundable.

also read section 409

Section 409. Criminal breach of trust by public servant, or by banker, merchant or agent

Whoever, being in any manner entrusted with property, or with any dominion over property in his capacity of a public servant or in the way of his business as a banker, merchant, factor, broker, attorney or agent, commits breach of trust in respect of that property, shall be punished with 1[imprisonment for life], or with imprisonment of either descripttion for a term which may extend to ten years, and shall also be liable to fine.

Punishment—Imprisonment for life, or imprisonment for 10 years and fine—Cognizable—Non-bailable—Triable by Magistrate of the first class—Non-compoundable.

when receiving complaint of cognizable offence police in this case is bound to register case, without direction of court irrespective of the offence being violation of another law but you may have to provide eivdence (or they may get themselves during investigation) that :-

(1) employee contribution was deducted from your salary

(2) employee contribution was not deposited with

Dinesh (Network Engineer)     29 January 2014

Dear Sir,

1.You gave me two different suggestions.I am confused on which way should i go either  lodging complaint with RPFC or filing complaint with police.

2.If i lodge complaint with police,under which police stn should i lodge ie. where company office is located or police stn near to me.

3.Should i wait for getting copies of form 3A,6A & 12A under RTI before i file a case with RPFC & police.

4.FYI i have filed an online NC with thanecity police & waiting for their feedback & would like to know, Will this help me in sorting this issue.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     29 January 2014

1.You gave me two different suggestions.I am confused on which way should i go either  lodging complaint with RPFC or filing complaint with police.

Ans : you can follow either or both paths they do not cut each other.

2.If i lodge complaint with police,under which police stn should i lodge ie. where company office is located or police stn near to me.

Ans : where has the crime been committed

3.Should i wait for getting copies of form 3A,6A & 12A under RTI before i file a case with RPFC & police.

Ans :  Yes

4.FYI i have filed an online NC with thanecity police & waiting for their feedback & would like to know, Will this help me in sorting this issue.

Ans :Get the documents in RTI.

Dinesh (Network Engineer)     30 January 2014

What should i do if i get a call from thane city police as i have registered online NC with them.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register