LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mannu Singh   21 May 2024

Payment of gratuity act 1972

The Act provides for a scheme for the payment of gratuity to employees engaged in factories, mines, oilfields, plantations, ports, railway companies, shops or other establishments. The Act enforces the payment of 'gratuity', a reward for long service, as a statutory retiral benefit. Every employee irrespective of his wages is entitled to receive gratuity if he has rendered continuous service of 5 years or more than 5 years.

It is not paid to an employee gratuitously or merely as a matter of boon. It is paid for the service rendered by him to the employer (Delhi Cloth and General Mills Co; Ltd Vs the Workmen).

Gratuity is payable to an employee on termination of his employment after he has rendered continuous service for not less than five years:

• on his superannuation
  • on his resignation
  • on his death or disablement due to employment injury or disease

The Working Journalists and Other Newspaper Employees (Conditions of service) and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1955, provides for payment of gratuity. As such, three years of continuous service is required for eligibility for Gratuity.

The payment of gratuity shall be forfeited:

• to the extent of the damage or loss caused by the employee to the property of the employer
  • where the service of the employee is terminated due to misconduct

According to Sec.2(e) "employee" means any person (other than an apprentice) employed on wages, in any establishment, factory, mine, oilfield, plantation, port, railway company or shop, to do any skilled, semi-skilled, or unskilled, manual, supervisory, technical or clerical work, whether the terms of such employment are express or implied,[and whether or not such person is employed in a managerial or administrative capacity, but does not include any such person who holds a post under the Central Government or a State Government and is governed by any other Act or by any rules providing for payment of gratuity].

According to Sec.2A (1) an employee shall be said to be in continuous service for a period if he has, for that period, been in uninterrupted service, including service which may be interrupted on account of sickness, accident, leave, absence from duty without leave (not being absence in respect of which an order treating the absence as break in service has been passed in accordance with the standing order, rules or regulations governing the employees of the establishment), lay off, strike or a lock-out or cessation of work not due to any fault of the employee, whether such uninterrupted or interrupted service was rendered before or after the commencement of the Act. (2) where an employee (not being an employee employed in a seasonal establishment) is not in continuous service within the meaning of clause (1), for any period of one year or six months, he shall be deemed to be in continuous service under the employer -

1. for the said period of one year, if the employee during the period of twelve calendar months preceding the date with reference to which calculation is to be made, has actually worked under the employer for not less than -
  2. one hundred and ninety days, in the case of an employee employed below the ground in a mine or in an establishment which works for less than six days in a week; and
  3. two hundred and forty days, in any other case;

d. For the said period of six months, if the employee during the period of six calendar months preceding the date with reference to which the calculation is to be made, has actually worked under the employer for not less than -

1. ninety-five days, in the case of an employee employed below the ground in a mine or in an establishment which works for less than six days in a week; and
  2. one hundred and twenty days, in any other case;

Click here to know more labour laws

Learning

4 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     21 May 2024

Thanks for the information but why do you post this in this forum. 

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     22 May 2024

Great information !!!!

What is the purpose / dispute for consideration and obligation of experts on this platform ???

Naveen N Nair   11 June 2024

Thanks for posting the Gratuity act here. I have a question on the Gratuity Eligibility for employees. I am aware that many companies follows the payout eligibility as 4.8 years (4 years and 240 days) irrespective of whether they work 5 days or 6 days a week. Could you kindly let me know the correct approach for payout eligibility. Should it be 4 years and 190 days or 4 years and 240 days. Is this something that an organization through its management decision decide upon? 

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     12 June 2024

Originally posted by : Naveen N Nair
Thanks for posting the Gratuity act here. I have a question on the Gratuity Eligibility for employees. I am aware that many companies follows the payout eligibility as 4.8 years (4 years and 240 days) irrespective of whether they work 5 days or 6 days a week. Could you kindly let me know the correct approach for payout eligibility. Should it be 4 years and 190 days or 4 years and 240 days. Is this something that an organization through its management decision decide upon? 

You already have a queyr at folowing thread (which has been replied)

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/what-is-the-gratuity-payout-eligibility-from-an-employer-view-234458.asp

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register