LIVE Course on Transfer Property Law | Price Hike in 4 days | Grab it now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Er. R M qadri (Innovator)     27 March 2011

Patent Protection

I am an innovator and i have several patent ideas that i develop into prototypes. however these prototypes i lend to some engineering students for submission of their project at their colleges and universities. kingly tell me if i shud get an affidavit or bond or an agreement in this regard so that the rights remain with me.


 7 Replies

khushboo (business)     28 March 2011

Obviously you wil have to do that. Dont ever make the mistake of lending your ideas before filing atleast a provisional application.You even have some provisions in the patent act as what should be done if you are disclosing your invention for educational or research purpose.

So please do read before proceeding.

All d best.

1 Like

Er. R M qadri (Innovator)     28 March 2011

thanks for your reply. kindly help me in this regard as i dont have any know how about this. please tell me about the provisions that are present and applicable in the patent act.

Nagaraja B S (Corporate Commercial & IP Lawyer)     31 March 2011


Dear User,

First of all you cannot disclose your innovation to public. Best way to get the protection is to file a Patent Provisional Application form.

For more details Contact



Trademark Attorney & IP Lawyer


Mob: 9902007635

Dr Rajendra Prasad (Director - Merit India Consultants Pvt Ltd. New Delhi 110015)     20 June 2011

Dear Er Qadri

I would imagine that you are involving the students right at the stage of proto-type development and not just after you have developed the prototypes.  If so, you need to bind the student through appropeiate written agreement prior to start of the project implying he/she would maintain confidentiality and would not exhibit, present or publish the work or results of the project anywhere without your permission and  that the IP rights emanating from the project would be assigned to you or to your department.  You should yourself also excercise due restraint till a provisional patent is filed.

I am a technologist turned Patent Agent and also designated as 'Scientific Advisor' to the Patent Office.  I shall be happy to advise you on the type of agreement you could enter with your students and also help filing your patent applications, if you would want so.  Please get in touch with me at or at 011-45630873 (O), 011-25446234(R) and 9810096099(M).

Dr Rajendra Prasad, Founder:





Mr Quadiri, You should sign Non Disclosure Agreement with such students.Filing a Patent application is advisable and if you want to file at economic rate,kindly contact us at

Dr Rajendra Prasad (Director - Merit India Consultants Pvt Ltd. New Delhi 110015)     27 June 2011

Dear Er Qadri

My recent article uploaded on my website, which is entitles, 'INVENTORSHIP DISPUTES' may be of your interest. You may like to access and go through it by clicking in here at the following link:

You may also like to go through other articles in the archive and like to subscribe to our mailing list to receive future issues.

With best regards,

Dr Rajendra Prasad  (M-9810096099)


Varsha Mahendra Singh   28 June 2022

If the Patent application fulfills the prescribed criteria for a Patent Registration, it will be granted by the Controller, published in the Official Gazette of the Patent Office India, and issue a Certificate for the Patent Registration to the Applicant.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query