LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
The Indian Constitution Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

FightForCause (Businessman)     05 August 2015

Party in person - please clarify

Hi Experts,

I have appointed a lawyer in my divorce case. My lawyer will be out of town due to some emergency and next date is for argument on child visitation. Last date also we were not able to represent ourselves due to date in other court.

Can i request judge to allow me to argue on next date as PIP or it is mandatory for my advocate to present and argue.

Kindly clarify.



 2 Replies

Adv. Pandit (Practicing Advocate)     06 August 2015


While you may ask for leave to appear in person and argue, this is not recommended. Once you waive your right to appointing an Advocate, you cannot use this as a disablement/defence. Also, being a PIP can do more harm than good if facts and evidences are not properly presented.

Seek a short adjournment and wait for your Advocate to argue. As an alternative, seek advice of another Advocate to clarify your concerns if your Advocate is not reachable. Don't make haste. Best of luck.

Born Fighter (xxx)     07 August 2015

Totally agree with Adv Pandit.

Go with an application to seek adjourment on proper grounds like sickness etc . Let your advocate draft the letter for you.............judge will grant it if properly presented. Dont be in haste or feel pressurized. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads


Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query