Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

DSha   26 February 2019

Overtime pay

Hi,

I would really appreciate if someone can help me with this as I am in a huge dilemma. I am a company HR and the company is covered under the Shops and Establishment Act in Mumbai. We were thinking to introduce a work shift time from 8 pm to 8 am with only 4 days working in a week so that the maximum number of hours per week is 48 hours and the employee gets enough rest. However, the total working hours per day will be 11 hours+1 hour break. Please help to understand if it's fine to do this. If yes, do we have to pay overtime as we are making the employee work for more than 9 hours everyday (however the total weekly hours will still be 48 hours as it is 4 day working) If not, can we do the following:

Give a 3 hour break instead of 1, so the employee works only for 8 hours every day (in this case, can we make the employee work for 5 days a week?)

Also, if there is anything else that I would need to keep in mind or take care of, please let me know.

I would really appreciate your expert opinion on this as it has caused a huge confusion and all the information on the internet is making it more complicated. Thank you in advance.

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register