Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

vish_bg_kar_in (Eng)     02 August 2016

Ok for a judge to share stage with litigants?

Respectable Advocates & Legal experts,

Please advise on below incident...

(please i am not accusing anyone below...just seeking answers to questions that have came up based on news article published in newspapers. Also please note : i am not directly involved in any litigation, but my relatives are. )

In an article published in news papers recently which shows a picture of Honorable District Judge(DJ1) sharing the stage with lawyers & others from common public, lighting deepas at a function. The article states that a function was organised for a program related to legal help for common people, in partnership with District legal Aid Services (DLSA) (note: DJ1 is also the chairman of DLSA), District lawyers assiciation and in partnership with private person Mr. P1. The article states that this function was organised in premises (Premisis1) belonging to the private party Mr. P1. The article also states that function was presided/lead/chaired by a private persion (Mr. P1). The picture published along with article shows Mr. P1 sharing the stage with DJ1 and lighting the deepas along with DJ1

The private person Mr P1 is a litigant in 5 ongoing cases in the same district court between from 2014 to till date and was a litigant in 5 cases disposed in 2014 to till date (i.e., litigant in 10 total cases from 2014 till date).

Mr. P1 is a businessman having various businesses in the same district. 

In one of the pending cases where Mr P1 is a litigant, the Premisis1 (property) where this function was held is also part of the litigation. Mr. P1 claims ownership of Premisis1. Premisis1 is a marriage hall(rented out to public) under litigation, but is currently not under any injunction and is carrying out its business as usual.

Mr. P1 has been going around telling all opposite parties of various litigations which he is part of, that he is very influential and has money, political power. Using which he will ensure that all ongoing litigation are decided in his favor (and now this news article shows up)

Note: There is criminal complaint against Mr. P1, which acccuses Mr. P1 of forgery/impersonation/criminal conspiracy at local police station. The police are stating this to be civil case and approach court with a private complaint. I assume that DJ1 is not aware of this criminal complaint against Mr.P1

Given the above circumstances...please assist on below

1. Is it ok for DJ1, to organise a function in partnership with Mr. P1 litigant in the same district court.

2. Is it ok for DJ1, to organise a function in the premisi1 which is part of a litigation in same district court.

3. Is it ok for DJ1, to allow Mr. P1 (litigant) to partner/chair/lead a function(related to judicial system) and share the stage with DJ1. 

4. Is it ok for DJ1, knowing that Mr. P1 is litigant, to allow a litigant to be in such close proximity and easily reachable state to the litigant.

I do understand the honorable DJ1 is under oath, I do trust the judicial system, but this new article has lead to above questions in the mind of people who are part of the litigations where Mr. P1 is involved. Since Mr. P1 is able to get in close proximity of DJ1, it is raising strong suspicion that Mr. P1 is in a position to influence DJ1 with ongoing/future litigations. 

Kindly do let me know if above incident is worth to be brought to anyone's notice and who is that authority?

Humble thanks for your valuable time, guidance & advice

Regards,

V.

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register