LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     07 January 2011

NOW DAUGHTERS ARE ASSETS - SC JUDGE

https://www.hindustantimes.com/tabloid-news/newdelhi/Daughters-my-biggest-assets-not-liability-says-SC-judge/Article1-646436.aspx

Daughters my biggest assets, not liability, says SC judge
Nagendar Sharma,Hindustan Times
Email Author
New Delhi, January 05, 2011
First Published: 00:32 IST(5/1/2011)
Last Updated: 02:43 IST(5/1/2011)
Share more...
3 Comments         

Breaking her silence on the controversy whether she considered the marriage of her two daughters as a liability, the lone woman judge in the Supreme Court justice Gyan Sudha Mishra on Tuesday said she regarded her children as her biggest assets. "An innocuous and honest statement of accounts has been

used to misrepresent my views on gender issues, without even caring to check with me," she said.

Responding to a news item in an English daily on her mandatory declaration of assets and liabilities, justice Mishra said, "Declaration of my financial liabilities regarding my unmarried children comes from my intent to save and make provisions for their weddings. This can't be misconstrued as treating my children as liabilities."

The judge said merely because she was a mother who only had daughters and no sons, nobody had the right to misinterpret her views.

"The views have been wrongly attributed to a sitting Supreme Court judge, which might create an incorrect impression in the minds of people. Let there be no doubt in anybody's mind about the apex court's stand on gender equality."

Asked why did she mention the marriage of her daughters in the liabilities column of her declaration, the judge replied, "The expenses involved at the time of a son/daughter's marriage can have financial implications. It is an event of financial consequence. The mere mention of daughters should not lead anyone to bring issues of gender bias and treatment of daughters as liabilities."

She pointed out that her declaration on the Supreme Court website also mentions the loan taken for the education of her children.

"An education loan being a liability does not mean education is also a liability. Education is an asset although expenses incurred on gaining that asset is a financial liability, similarly expenses incurred on a wedding has financial implications," the judge said. 

"If I had sons instead of daughters, and had made a similar declaration, would gender discrimination and treating sons as a liability provided some fodder for discussion?" she asked.

Misunderstood?

Learning

4 Replies

PJANARDHANA REDDY (ADVOCATE & DIRECTOR)     08 January 2011

SHE DECLARED VERY HONESTLY AND IN  RIGHT WAY.

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     08 January 2011

wat was the need to jump im this controversy?

out of 29 sitting SC judges only one added family issues in liabilities column, seems more like to generate controversy. has this been done by her in IT returns also?

1 Like

Saurabh Chakravorty (Employed)     08 January 2011

In our country, the media has started acting as the judiciary. The work of media is to present and leave the interpretation part to the public or judiciary. Most of these media houses are sold out to political parties. We can make out the difference in the quality of news when we see any of the indian news channels and compare it with BBC or CNN.

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     11 January 2011

SON AND DAGHTUR - NEITHER PROPERTY NOR LIABILITY. THEY ARE SEPERATE PERSONS, HAVING THEIR OWN IDENTITY. PARENTS SHOULD NOT CONSIDER THEMSELVES AS PROPERTY. THESE IDEOLOGIES (IE CONCEPT OF PROPERTY) CREATING COMPLEXES IN FAMILY LIFE. PROBLEM OF DOWRY AND HONOUR KILLING IS THE BEST EXAMPLE OF THESE. WE SHOULD AND MUST HAVE TO GIVE UP THESE BAD PRACTICIES.
1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register