Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

vio (pr)     18 June 2012

Notice period

Hi ,

I have been working for a company from past two years,now i got a offer in abroad and i resigned . In my offer letter my notice period is 2 months so i committed for two months with abroad company . But now current company is telling me i have to serve for 3 months notice period since company policies have changed. But none was intimated to me,neither i have signed any document nor i got mail regarding this. I just want to know,Can a company change this notice period thing with our approval ?? I need suggestion what i have to do , i tried requesting them,but they are saying rules are rules. Please help me, if i serve here for one more month aboard offer gets cancelled and i dont want to lose that. 

Learning

4 Replies

jatin sharma (LAWYER)     18 June 2012

"yes they can" but you have option, send them a notice for three months period and take a leave without pay for one month. for any reason ok.

best of luck for ur new job

Anjuru Chandra Sekhar (Advocate )     18 June 2012

If you have settled your terminal benefits and took all relevant documents from experience certificate, NOC you don't have to care for it. Just leave the job and go abroad.  Have an assessment of what you have to lose here if you quit the present job without heeding to their demand to work for 3 months.

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     18 June 2012

If you have worked for your employer for one month or more, the legal minimum amount of notice you must give is one week.

Normally your employment contract will set out a longer notice period. If it does, you should give this length of notice to your employer.

If your employment contract does not set out a notice period you should give a reasonable period of notice to your employer. This is included in your employment contract as what is known as an ‘implied term’. What is 'reasonable' will depend on your seniority and how long you have worked there.

For further guidance you could contact Acas (the Advisory Conciliation or Arbitration Service) or another advisory body

Kumar Doab (FIN)     18 June 2012

It is felt that the statements of line management/HR are verbal. Company may cite standing orders if applicable to your industry.

First of all you should settle with new employer by explaining the facts and later preferably in writing.

Your current employer may not agree to notice pay and may not issue acceptance of resignation/relieving letter/work experience-service certificate/form 16/FNF statement.

In such a situation it is imp. to take new employer in confidence and obtain concurrence to absorb you on the strength of copy of notice of resignation, final resignation, and POD. You may communicate with current employer by email followed by letter thru redg/speed  post only.

You may submit a notice of resignation with effective date of resignation/last day in office addressed to the good offices of your appointing authority, MD, CEO, Company Secretary with a copy to Head-HR. If you have already submitted notice of resignation you may submit  a written representation addressed to the good offices and mention the date and date of submission of your notice and narrate that as per clause no.........in appointment letter dated.............issued to you ............the notice period of resignation is ..........days and you have complied to this clause. On dated..............Mr/Ms..........designation.......dept............address.............has asked you in office, to serve notice period for 3 months which is against the terms and conditions expressed in your appointment letter. Company has never supplied any communication regarding change in notice period to you in writing and you have never given your acceptance in writing. Hence you are seeking intervention of good offices and relief and a written acknowledgment of your notice and acceptance of last day in office as dated...........as expressed in your notice dated...........You may request the good offices to ensure smooth exit formalities and to supply you the acceptance of resignation/relieving letter/work experience-service certificate/form 16/FNF statement, payment of your dues by bank DD,NOC/NDC,PF number, attested copies of PF withdrawal/transfer forms etc within your last day in office i.e./ dated............You may mention that good offices may inform you in writing to whom you should handover the charge and company property and employee designated may be advised with a copy to you, to issue acknowledgment and routine work may be assigned to you on in routine which can be completed within your last day in office. If you are eligible you may submit form I for payment of gratuity under proper acknowledgment.

You may forward/print copies of all relevant emails, appraisals, and performance/incentives data.

Employee can seek relief under enactments like Industrial Employment Standing Orders Act, SE act applicable to your state, Industrial Dispute Act, as per explanation of employee under these enactments. You may approach a competent and experienced service lawyer and show all records and proceed under expert advice.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register