Civil Procedure Code (CPC)

Name change in hindu marriage act


I have got married 3 weeks back. I want to register my marriage and want to retain my maiden name.I have questions that do I need to change my name or permanent address now or later point of time if i register my marraige under hindu marriage act. Also is it granted in other countries including muslim countries.

Advocate & Solicitor at Law

Registering your marriage has got nothing to do with changing your name. You can get your marriage registered and still retain your maiden name. Registration can be done at a subsequent stage. Hoewever the earlier u gt t done, the better.



Can the marriage already held according to the religious custom be registered under Special Marriage Act? If so how to get it registered?

legal advisor

in your earlier query you have  asked about registering under you are asking about sma..if you both are hindus only registration can be done under hma..if one spouse is hindu and the other is from some other religion then you can go for sma


You can retain your maiden name. I would suggest that you register under the Special Marriages Act 1956 instead of Hindu Marriage Act. The former is gender neutral , whereas the latter is tilted towards the husband in terms of share of property etc.

You would have to go to the registrar's office with your AADHAAR card and about 10 colour passport size photos. Then, collect the forms. Fill them up.

Then, go to a notary and prepare a signed affidavit that you are not already married and are legally fit to get married.

You'll need 3 witnesses. Then the 30 days notice period begins. After 30 days, you'll have to pay another visit to get your marriage certificate.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
Civil Litigation Course     |    x