Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Dhaval Parikh   22 March 2017

Name change after marriage

Dear experts,

As I just got married, I want to know is it mandatory to change the name, address of my wife (i.e chanfing surname) on legal documents such as PAN, Aadhar card etc.

Or can she continue using maiden name on the card for opening bank a/c, income tax return and for other official usage.

Kindly reply.

Thanks. 

Learning

5 Replies

Sachin (N.A)     22 March 2017

It is upon her wish to whether to change the surname or continue maiden name.

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Dhaval Parikh
Dear experts,

As I just got married, I want to know is it mandatory to change the name, address of my wife (i.e chanfing surname) on legal documents such as PAN, Aadhar card etc.

Or can she continue using maiden name on the card for opening bank a/c, income tax return and for other official usage.

Kindly reply.

Thanks. 

Dear Dhaval,

According to Hindu Culture, after marriage the wife should take the name of the husband as the surname.  And she should change her name henceforth in all the legal records such as markscards, passport, ration card, voter card and update the new address in the documents.  This can be done by approaching the concerned authorities with marriage certificate.  If you have not yet registered your marriage, you have to get it registered in registrar of marriages locally or you can also do it online.

If you let the wife behave as per her wishes then what good did she do by marrying you?  You have to assert yourself and get it said by elders of your family, though elders of her family would not agree to it.  Remind her that she is married to you and not her father, hence she cant continue to use her fathers name even after marrying you.

If you let wife behave according to her own whims and fancies it wont be late where you will be one among the lakhs of people standing outside court halls facing false cases from wives.

If you appreciate my reply kindly click on the like button here or on my profile page by visiting it, whose link is given below amd convey Thanks !

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/profile.asp?member_id=84464

saravanan s (legal advisor)     22 March 2017

Its upto your wife and you to decide.its not mandatory that she must include your name with hers after marriage

Its upto your wife and you to decide.its not mandatory that she must include your name with hers after marriage

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register