LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Varun   07 January 2017

My Car hit by other vehicle from behind but am asked to pay

Hi , I had stopped to check for directions to airport and slowed down near a divider and didn't do it suddenly, however suddenly a cab hit my car from behind, the cops came and reviewed and the vehicle driver started saying he wants me to pay for his damage, even though my car also got damaged from behind as per the instruction from the cop he took me to the police station and I loged a complaint of rash driving against the vehicle and have an acknowledgement from the police , however didn't more hassle and didn't file a FIR, however now he is asking for settlement and saying he would lodge a FIR against me. I told him how can he ask for damage when he has hit my car from behind, however he has managed to get my cell no and saying he would file FIR if damages for his vehicle is not paid. Can you please guide.

Learning

5 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     08 January 2017

These are all threats for extortion.  If you have insurance, inform in police station the policy no, and once the other vehicle owner books a complaint, and provides such receipts with estimation, make a cliam from insurance company.  It is the driver behind that has to maintain safe distance.

P. Venu (Advocate)     08 January 2017

Yes, this is a mere threat. If he wants to file the FIR, let him.

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     09 January 2017

You say you have slowed down near a divider. I presume you  were going fast and stopped near a divider to ask for directions. With whom? How can you ask someone for directions when you are going alongwith the divider ie. extreme right of road? OK whether there was a free right turn near that divider and you have given right indicator? While slowing, did you give indication that you are slowing down ie. lighting up both rear lights?

Much depends upon eye witnesses in the matter. I hope there is a recorder in the car also which cannot be tampered where the signals given etc are getting recorded so that mistake of a driver can be pin pointed to some extent.

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     09 January 2017

Same is the case even if you are driving to the extreme left of the road near the divider. It all depends, what signal/s you had given and whether you can prove that such signal was given.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     09 January 2017

If there is a CCTV camera installed by Traffic Police or Corporation, immediately seek such footage under RTI.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register