LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kunal (ASST. ENGG. GR II)     23 January 2010

MAXIMUM WORKING HOURS

What should be the maximum working hours for a supervisor (non- unionised) of a Govt. of India undertaking company posted at a construction site.? Is there any rule that restricts the total working hours in a week ? Is compensatory leave is enough in liu of work on holidays or working beyond working hours?

regards. 

Learning

5 Replies

R.R. KRISHNAA (Legal Manager)     23 January 2010

Maximum working hours shall not exceed 9 hours a day.  Compensation leave is allowed in case of work during holidays. For work beyond working hours overtime wages are payable.

Elamaran Perumal (Law Officer)     23 January 2010

Hi legal eagles,

As per the provisions of the Factories Act,1948, the maximum working hours in a day cannot exceed 9 hours and total working hours in a week should not exceed 48 hours. The Law allows payment of over time wages if an employee put up extra/over time work in a Factory/Industry.

SANATANA PANDAY (presiednt of a trade union)     23 January 2010

At a navaranta company PSU . in the departmnt of Operation equipments are given shut down. the safety permit is issued by supervisior and above. but the tag ( which is used for information about the equipment is under shutdown) is marked by a non-exuctive worker. it is fair or not. please replay me as soon as possible

Kunal (ASST. ENGG. GR II)     24 January 2010

yes I know that the max. working hour per day is 9 hrs (including 1 hr break). But, I, really, wanted to know that what is the max hours of work can an employee give(including the overtimes). and if working at a construction site makes any difference. As I know, in Germany there is a bar of sixty hours per week (including overtimes) for any one.

Can any employer force an employee to work for 12 hrs per day (paying the due overtimes) for six days in a week?

siddhartha (tx engg)     26 January 2010

My organisation is a leading telecom vendor in india, but its a chinese company. Off late the employees are made to work over 60-70 hours per week without any holidays for 20 days at a stretch and no extra compensation.Wat possible actions could be taken against the company and wat is the right way to go about it? please advice.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register