Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jeremiah   12 February 2019

Marrying fathers step sisters daughter, we both are christians.

Hi, am a christian and I married my fathers step sister's daughter, it was a registered marriage and done at a registrars office here in bangalore under The Indian Christian marriage act of 1872, we have had a healthy male child too. Now her parents are contesting the marriage claiming that it is prohibited. Both of us belong to Christian families.

Learning

5 Replies

Martin S.   12 February 2019

Originally posted by : Jeremiah
Hi, am a christian and I married my fathers step sister's daughter, it was a registered marriage and done at a registrars office here in bangalore under The Indian Christian marriage act of 1872, we have had a healthy male child too. Now her parents are contesting the marriage claiming that it is prohibited. Both of us belong to Christian families.

Her parents are correct.  Yours is brother sister marriage and is unlawful, illegal as per Indian Law pertaning to marriage among sapindas. Brother sister mariage is not alllowed.  What you both have done is wrong and need to be corrected by means of taking divorce based on the above.

Which sub caste do you belong to? Are you scheduled caste? Schedulded tribe ? State the subacaste you each belong to.

Am a csi protestant and she is a roman Catholic., we both are Anglo Indians.

Martin S.   12 February 2019

Originally posted by : Jeremiah
Am a csi protestant and she is a roman Catholic.

You are lying. Something is amiss here. 

But anyway that does not change that you married your own brother/sister which makes your marriave null and void.  Your marriage is void and hence is unlawful. 

You should be separated through divorce on the above ground u/s 19(2) of Indian Divorce Act 1869.  You can do it by approaching famly court mutually.  As you have got marriage registered you will apply via Special Marriage Act  1954.

You can approach free legal aid or even approach without advocate if you know how to draft your divorce petition.

For mistake of you both simply child will suffer.

Mr. Martin, thank you very much for your replies. I will take your advise seriously. But I'd advise you not to go forth dispensing advice you know nothing about. Since you're so into reading people with their lies, I'd again advise you to join as advisor to our politicians. I came to this forum for a clear understanding of what's going on as the law is ambiguous but I most definitely didn't expect jackasses like you. Cheers.

Am sure you would have done the above stated.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register