LAW Courses
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

M. N. Agrawal (N.A.)     19 October 2012

Marriage with cousin

Dear Learned Members,

X and Y are hindu adult and want to get married.

X and Y's great grant fathers were real brothers. Kindly know whether the marriage is acceptable.

If no, kindly know if there is any solution, under Special Marriage Act, by way of adoption by her maternal uncle or otherwise.

Thanking you.

 2 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     19 October 2012

1. Comes under prohibited relationships.
2. Major age adult person are not adopted unless such custom and usage in family is there.
3. One of them should convert to Christianity and marry under Christian Marriage Act.
4. Such conversion is done under
S. 3 of the Indian Christian Marriage Act. Therefore, after conversion into Christianity, the marriage does not fall under the 'sapinda' relationship (which is prohibited under the Hindu Marriage Act),

Rajeev Kumar (Lawyer/Advocate)     19 October 2012

Yes Tajobs has rightly suggested you

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query