LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anjuru Chandra Sekhar (Advocate )     02 October 2011

Marriage against the will of a girl

A girl was married against her will by her parents.  She pleaded them I want to study further, I do not want to marry at the point of time.  But they said no, you have to marry now itself.  No girl in our families can remain unmarried beyond 21 years.  Forcibly she got married.  She was against the marriage hence not interested in marital life.  Did not like the husband too and she knew her parents cannot get a better match.  She was not inclined to share life with him.

Husband having s*x with such girl constitute marital rape?

Learning

16 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     02 October 2011

Ans. : At common law, a husband could not be guilty of raping his wife !.

Rohit Shukla (Engineer)     03 October 2011

Ans: Absolutely Not

Further, Chandrasekhar Sir, taking a cue from our last discussion in another thread "Can this upselling skills of her parents has not ruined the life of the poor husband?" Now what stance does husband take if she is neither ready to return to him nor interested in giving divorce? Please suggest?

Regards,

Rohit 

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     03 October 2011

ha ha Rohit

A.VIVEK ADVOCATE (ADVOCATE)     03 October 2011

the marriage is not a valid marriage , the husband also liable for rape 

Anjuru Chandra Sekhar (Advocate )     03 October 2011

Dear Rohit,

I am absolutely not against SR taking a legal recourse, I made it clear in that discussion itself.  You are still under the impression that I am taking the side of the girl in that case.  My view is "If we have better laws no one would be troubled like this".  If there is a law which makes it mandatory to have thorough medical check up before marriage and based on which both bride and bridegroom decide to marry or not, this trouble would not have arisen for the girl.  I am only saying that there could be girls and parents who are innocent and who just do not reveal because they might think that is not important to reveal or because they might think the medical problems may get cured in due course of time so no need to give importance to it. 

Law gives green signal to people like SR to proceed under HMA.  If he goes to court, it will be known to everyone in society that such and such girl's marital relationship is spoiled because of medical problem.  Then who will marry her in future?

I am just thinking that angle and feeling sorry about the girl.  I am not saying SR has no legal recourse or that it is immoral for him to take a legal recourse. 

If the facts and circumstances of the case makes people feel that there is a ground strong enough to take divorce but you cannot take divorce on those grounds because law does not support such ground, they will prepare some false ground and create false evidences and fool the court.  It happens everyday in our country.  You know.  I know about it.  That is why misuse of 498A is such a problem for many men.  Courts should not convey an impression to people, "I am ready to be fooled by you, come and fool me".

For that we need stronger laws, better laws.  All my discussion was aimed at that.  It was not aimed at demoralizing SR. 

In the case I mentioned above, I researched on the subject a lot to find any remedy for such girl in our law.  Day in and out we find girls accept marriages for the honor of parents or because of their force and spend their lives with those men that they don't like.  If they accept their husband without liking that is as good as prostitution.  Do these parents think their girl is a prostitute to sleep with whosoever that they direct her to sleep with?

There must be some punishment for parents who force their girls to get married against their will.  There should be a law which says, if a girl is forcibly married by her parents/guardians or other family members, after marriage if she reveals that marriage happened against her will the parents shall be punished, say with an imprisonment of a year or so.  That will infuse some sense of responsibility in parents to think twice before forcing their daughter to opt for an unwanted bridegroom.

This is the remedy for the husband.  In every case we should know who is offender and who is victim.  In the case I mentioned above the offenders are parents.  So they are liable, not the girl.  The victims are both the girl and the man who married her.  Girl will get relief if court grants divorce.  The man will get relief if girl's parents are sent to jail.  Law should provide that kind of remedy. 

But before talking about it, I thought, though I searched a lot, I may have missed something, someone may show some remedy that I have touched upon.  That is why I raised this question in this forum.

Anjuru Chandra Sekhar (Advocate )     03 October 2011

This kind of making a new law is also a remedy for the problem of 498A victimization.  Say for instance a girl who is forcibly married by her parents cannot show it as a reason to get rid of the existing marital relationship, she will simply use 498A, or her Advocate will advise her to use it.  Is it not?  But actually that is not the ground to seek relief.  Whatever ground she has is justifiable but law does not provide for a solution to seek relief on that ground.  So 498A is misused.  So many other laws are also misused because of this reason only. 

Rohit Shukla (Engineer)     03 October 2011

@Chandrsekhar Sir, Appreciate your larger concern for the society at large and agree to it ...... however wishing/thinking of changes/amendments in family law in few years in India is just a wishful thinking ....... I have read that a Bill to amend Sec-498a under IPC is pending with Rajya sabha under Shri Koshiyari jee. However several rounds of meetings with various groups (including SIFF) have not yet reached a common conclusion .... and various permutations/combinations are being appplied ...... I don't actually see things happening with true degree of urgency and most importantly for the sake of TRUE VICTIM (read gender free). Thanks!

Regards,

Rohit

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     04 October 2011

When the girl was getting married, she had many ways to prevent the same.

She can still apply for annulment of marriage, as the marriage was done under coercion. She can also seek protection orders against the husband.

Thus she can be free to daily rape.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

(Guest)

In this case, BrideGroom is at no fault. Any husband have a rights to have a s -  - with her wife after marriage.

If mrg done forcibly by her parents, Then it is not good to make a case over groom. 

Then suggestion of Mr. Shonee is absolutely correct, If she really seeks relief.

Regards,

Abhinatre Gupt.

Sankaranarayanan (Advocate)     10 October 2011

without the will of wife if any husband force her for s*x also against law. Moreover if any marriage against the wish and will of girl then that also against the law.

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     10 October 2011

Shankar Narayan,

Which law, can you please enlighten us.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

harassed.by.498a@gmail.com

Rohit Shukla (Engineer)     10 October 2011

Dear Learned Members, just few quick one

S*X against the wish of a legal wife .... how can a wife prove that? and if it is the case then why don't all the 498-a supporter use this when then they all are hell bent on using/framing all possible frivolous charges against their not so better half?

Conversely, can a husband use the same ground "Denial of s*x" as a ground for Divorce under cruelty and if yes thaen again why all the deserted people don't use it when they are left up by their wife's for X no of years?

Please enlighten ....

Regards,

Rohit

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     10 October 2011

DENIAL OF SEX IS A VALID GROUND OF DIVORCE.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

harassed.by.498a@gmail.com

Rohit Shukla (Engineer)     10 October 2011

Thanks Shonee Sir for the reply, However the bigger question still remain unanswerd "How to prove it?"

Regards,

Rohit

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register