LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Joe   28 January 2018

Loan repayment using buyers funds

Hi, I am in talks with a prospective buyer for my flat in Chennai. The flat has a loan running which needs to be closed. The buyer has agreed to pay me funds in cash to close the loan so that it can be then registered in his name. My question is, what are the tax implications for me when I close the loan using cash funds from buyer?. Can I show that these funds are from buyer. Or do I have to show proper sources for this funds?

Learning

8 Replies

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     28 January 2018

There should be clear agreement to sell showing that the flat is under loan, and that uon receiving advance from the buyer, the flat will be freed from loan after repaying to the bank, and sale deed will be executed in favour of the buyer.

There is no bar if you get the money from the buyer in advance. But that should be in Cheque (and not in CASH as indicated by you).  There will be no tax implication on you in getting the advance provided the same is adjusted against the ultimate sale consideration.

Joe   28 January 2018

Thank you for the quick reply. The issue as of now is, buyer is willing to pay only as cash. Hence, should I go ahead with this or is there a legal way to do this transaction.

It only means, that by accepting huge cash, you will be dealing in BLACK MONEY.  In case of any trouble, the buyer will disown that he gave cash to you. You will be in great trouble sooner than later.  Better avoid.  

Joe   28 January 2018

Thank you sir. In case the buyer gives me a written statement, signed by him, stating that he has paid me the cash towards flat purchase, will it be OK?

As I told, in the written Agreement to sell, instead of advance paid in Cheque, you can make a mention that the advance was paid by the buyer by Cash.  In that case no problem. ( I am sure, he will not agree to this.  If he does, then I will be pleasantly surprised) 

Joe   28 January 2018

Thank you sir. Now, I am clear as to how to proceed. Thanks again

Joe   28 January 2018

Hi Ramesh sir, I am the seller in this case and the buyer wants to pay me more than 10 lakhs in cash

Kumar Doab (FIN)     28 January 2018

The flat is under loan and lender shall release upon full payment.

The burden of proof of source funds to clear loan lies on you.

More so in situation narrated by you.

If there is proper narration in agreement to sell then you have an evidence..

Is there any difference between the sale price and value at which agreement to sell and value at which sale deed is to be registered?

Discuss with lender and assess the options….

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register