Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Fight4Justice (AVP)     22 September 2017

Liability of us citizen in indian property

Hi,

My bother who is a US citizen and I (Indian citizen) share a will with 50% share in propety and assets created by our parents.

All assets are in my name. What is the liability of a US citizen in Indian property and what are his rights?

Regards,

Sunil

Learning

4 Replies

SHREY DAMBHARE   23 September 2017

You are asking trick quetion. You are sayinng all assessts in your name as well as you are saying as per Will you and your brother have 50% share each in property. However, if there is Will and your brother is having knowledge of Will and may have copy of it. Then, he can claim his 50% share. Nationality doesn't effect rights created under Indian law. You and your brother has equal rights. As well as since he is your brother i.e. one of his parents may belong from Indian origin, so he have Indian citizenship as well. Still doesn't change anything. 

Fight4Justice (AVP)     23 September 2017

Thanks for your reply Shrey.

Also, is an unregistered will valid ??

SHREY DAMBHARE   23 September 2017

Yes. Unregistered Will is valid but there are some exceptions. It has to pass its credibility test. Such as before whom it was written i.e. Witness and It should not be forged one. If it is written by person who made his will then that's good. 

P. Venu (Advocate)     23 September 2017

Please post the complete facts and the real issue(s) instead of posing riddles.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register