Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Richy (LLB student)     17 May 2014

Legal status of me in a messed up family?!?

Hi All...

I am seeking a prompt  answer for my legal status in the family as a step-son.

My mother had divorced my father in 1987. She got remarried to a person who's wife was died and he had 3 children in his first marriage. Then i was 4 years old. At that time he gave a word to my mother's parents(they are still alive) as well as to my mother that he would take care of me like his own son. Based on that she married that person. From that day i am staying with that family where my mother got remarried. Now its been 26 years. My Mother and that person together has a daughter. so we are 5 children in total. He brought me up as his own child in front of the society? Now his children are creating so many issues against me.

Q: 1) If i file a case will i be able to obtain a title of an adopted child? How this relation is defined? What is my legal status in that family?

2)  Am i his step-son or adopted son or Is he just my local guardian? If i fall in any of this 3 category then what all privileges  i have in that family? Do i have all the rights in everything as the other children have in that family?

Thanks in advance

Richi

Learning

8 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     17 May 2014

no doubtyou are step child. There is no adoption.  If he has a son he cannot adopt a son.

1 Like

Kapil Gupta (Advocate)     17 May 2014

You are the step son. So you have all the rights which a real son has. You will be treated as his real son.
1 Like

Richy (LLB student)     18 May 2014

Originally posted by : Sudhir Kumar

no doubtyou are step child. There is no adoption.  If he has a son he cannot adopt a son.

Thank you so much sir for your reply. 

Being a step son do i have any rights on his succession (like property or carry the lineal heir)? He don't have his own son alive, he passed away 4 years back. He has only daughters now and i am the only male child (step-child as you mentioned) now. I am not able to find any relevant cases of this kind or not able to find any supporting law in hindu succession act. If there is any case laws or LAW kindly quote.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     18 May 2014

"He has only daughters now and i am the only male child"

By using this sentence you have clearly  disclosed your actual psychology  intentions.  No free advise from me for such like persons.

Laxmi Kant Joshi (Advocate )     18 May 2014

I too agree with Mr. Sudhir kumar openion he doesn' t deserve any legal advise his has malicious intention with him .

Laxmi Kant Joshi (Advocate )     18 May 2014

i too agree with Mr. Sudhir kumar 's openion he doesn't deserve any legal advise , he has malicious intention in him.

Richy (LLB student)     18 May 2014

Originally posted by : Sudhir Kumar

"He has only daughters now and i am the only male child"

By using this sentence you have clearly  disclosed your actual psychology  intentions.  No free advise from me for such like persons.

First of all thank you for your time.

See, i don't understand what psychological intentions are underlying in that statement. I just mentioned the count of children in each gender in the family, the people who read this thread may not know that.

There is no adoption.  If he has a son he cannot adopt a son." See this was your reply, to clarify that i just stated that sentence with gender otherwise i wouldn't have written that.

And in my main thread message i have clearly written my intension Now his children are creating so many issues against me." so i need to know my legal status in the family. 

After 26 years if his daughters are asking me to go away from that home what else can i do rather going for a legal opinion. 
Where will i go now? Who will be there for me?, I don't have any other malicious intensions behind. I cannot go to my biological father because i haven't met him since years. 

I am not here for any kind of arguments or narrow minded thoughts. I just need to know my rights!

Anyways thanks for your reply.

Richi

Reformist !!! (Other)     27 May 2014

You do not have any rights in that family or on any of their property be it movable or immovable.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register